We have combined our Kananaskis and Canmore regions together to share the 10 Best Snowshoes in the Kananaskis. These trails cover snowshoe routes along Highway 40 and the Smith-Dorrien, as well as around Kananaskis Lakes, all easily accessible from Canmore.
1. Rummel Ridge (7 km, 680 m, 4 - 6 h): The Snowshoe trip to Rummel Ridge is a relatively safe and easy ascent to an incredible viewpoint above Rummel Lake. The in-your-face view of Mount Galatea and those of massive peaks across the valley compete for your attention.
2. Commonwealth Ridge (6.9 km, 550 m, 3 - 6 h): Snowshoeing up Commonwealth Ridge is no easy feat, but you will be rewarded with an up-close view of spectacular Mount Smuts and The Fist. The wonderful cornice scenery on the upper slope make Commonwealth Ridge an exciting snowshoe outing.
3. Chester Lake ( 8.9 km, 350 m, 3-5 h): Snowshoeing to Chester Lake is one of the most popular Snowshoe routes in Kananaskis. The spectacular view of Mount Chester rising above the meadows surrounding Chester Lake justify this trip as the most popular snowshoe trail in Kananaskis.
4. Rummel Lake (12.5 km, 385m, 3 - 5 h): Snowshoeing to Rummel Lake brings you to some wonderful views in the Kananaskis Range. Mount Galatea, the highest in the area, towers over Rummel Lake while awesome snow scenery and views of peaks in the Spray Valley keep the ascent interesting.
5. Little Lougheed (5.5 km, 480 m, 3 - 6 h): The snowshoe up to Little Lougheed offers a perfect vantage point to view the spectacular Spray Lake and the snowy peaks surrounding it. An entertaining maze of boulders on the ascent and the challenging avalanche terrain turns this shorter route into a challenging and interesting day out!
6. Rawson Lake (6.8km, 300m, 4-5h): Enjoy snowshoeing through giant pine forest as you gain steadily towards Rawson Lake. This picturesque lake is stunning in all four seasons, and will surely leave you in awe. Follow the lakeshore around to the left to catch a glimpse of Sarrail Ridge above and the surrounding peaks that tower over the lake.
7. Troll Falls + Hay Meadows (3.7km, 50m, 2h): This easy trail winds around Kananaskis Village and passes by the impressive frozen Troll Falls. This trail is great for all abilities.
8. Lillian Lake (13.0km, 485m, 3.5-5h): This pleasant trail takes you from the Galatea parking lot to Lillian Lake. Unfortunately, the trails above Lillian Lake go into prime avalanche territory, so you need to stop here.
9. Burstall Lakes (7.8km, 150m, 3-4h): Snowshoe along the summer hiking trail for Burstall Pass and enjoy travelling through dense forest as you make your way to the incredible lakes. Enjoy grand views of Mount Robertson and its impressive glacier from the meadows.
10. Hogarth Lakes (4.2km, 45m, 2h): Cross the edge of Mud Lake en route to the small Hogarth Lakes as you snowshoe this moderate loop. Combine with Burstall Lakes trail for an accomplished day!Read More
01. Rummel Ridge
The Snowshoe trip to Rummel Ridge is a relatively safe and easy ascent to an incredible viewpoint above Rummel Lake.…
02. Commonwealth Ridge
Snowshoeing up Commonwealth Ridge is no easy feat, but you will be rewarded with an up-close view of spectacular Mount…
03. Chester Lake
Snowshoeing to Chester Lake is one of the most popular Snowshoe routes in Kananaskis. The spectacular view of Mount Chester…
04. Rummel Lake
Snowshoeing to Rummel Lake brings you to some wonderful viewpoints in the Kananaskis Range. Mount Galatea, the highest in the…
05. Little Lougheed
The snowshoe up to Little Lougheed offers a perfect vantage point to view the spectacular Spray Lakes Reservoir and the…
06. Rawson Lake
Snowshoeing to Rawson Lake is a Kananaskis Classic! Enjoy this trail as it goes along Upper Kananaskis Lake before going…
07. Troll Falls + Hay Meadows
Snowshoeing to Troll Falls is a classic family outing in Kananaskis. This easy trail is a fun loop to the…
08. Galatea Creek and Lillian Lake
The snowshoe to Lillian Lake gets you into some very pretty country. Be aware to not go beyond Lillian Lake,…
09. Burstall Lakes
Snowshoe along the summer hiking trail for Burstall Pass and enjoy travelling through dense forest as you make your way…
10. Hogarth Lakes
Hogarth Lake is a nice, easy snowshoe, perfect for a family. With nice views and great terrain, consider adding this…