hikes in Gran Paradiso National Park
A hiking trip to Gran Paradiso National Park is exceptional. Whether you choose to go for an easy walk to see waterfalls, a fun half-day trail around alpine lakes or a challenging hike to one of the majestic peaks - hiking in Gran Paradiso National Park is an unforgettable experience for every adventurer.
Hiking trails in this park are well maintained and mapped, decreasing your possibility of getting confused or lost to close to zero. Also, there are numerous mountain huts (known as Rifugios) serving as shelters for tired and hungry hikers, so if you are in the area, don’t forget multi-day trekking as the park has plenty of options for backpacking trips, too.
Check out our 10 best hikes in Gran Paradiso and chose your adventure now!
THE TOP 10 HIKES IN GRAN PARADISO NATIONAL PARK, ITALY
- Alpe Money Hike (16.3km, 1138m, 6-7.5h): This stunning hike is a great combination of what Gran Paradiso National Park has to offer: historic huts, breath-taking peaks, amazing waterfalls and glaciers. It’s definitely one of the best trails in the Alps!
- Rifugio Vittorio Sella Hike (10.6km, 1110m, 5-6h): This is the classic hike of Gran Paradiso National Park. Situated in Alpe Lauson high valley, this mountain hut attracts nature lovers willing to spend some time below the picturesque peaks in alpine surroundings.
- Valnontey River Trail (2.2km, 54m, 1-1.5h): Easy and beautiful, this trail is beloved by families with children. You will see old-styled Italian farmhouses, horses and plenty of beautiful waterfalls.
- Lago di Loie Hike (11.5km, 973m, 5-6.5h): Fun moderate hike that has constantly changing surroundings: from a turquoise lake, beautiful Mont Blanc, to energetic waterfalls and Marmoth Field.
- Col de Saint-Marcel Hike (17.4km, 1366m, 6.5-8.5h): Long, but not technical, this trail is very entertaining. Wide easy path, calm secluded lakes, old Italian farmhouses and the beautiful Matterhorn in the distance!
- Col Tsasèche Hike (13.6km, 1289m, 5.5-7h): A challenging hike that takes you to the pass with an amazing 180° overview. Standing in one point, you will be able to see all the most beautiful peaks in surrounding areas – Gran Paradiso, Grivola, Mont Blanc and many more!
- Tsaplana Peak Hike (10.3km, 971m, 4.5-5.5h): Big views with little effort! This moderate hike is not too hard but takes you to a small peak with some of the best views of iconic peaks of the park and Cogne Valley below.
- Lago Pellaud via the Grand Rû Ring (7.7km, 263m, 2-3h): Easy family-friendly walk along the river leading to old Italian mill near beautiful turquoise Pellaud lake. You will pass a few small Italian villages built in the old style from alpine rocks.
- Colle della Rossa Hike (18.2km, 1764m, 7-9h): Challenging hike to the pass between Ponte Rossa della Grivola and Testa del Gavio peaks brings you to a different world. Being surrounded by high peaks of Gran Paradiso National Park will take your breath away.
- Ghiacciaio Grand Étret Hike (11.3km, 816m, 5.5-6.5h): This trail will take you through a secluded valley where rare wildflowers can be spotted along the route and ibexes are very common.
The best hikes in Gran Paradiso National Park
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.