Valnontey River Trail
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Valnontey River trail in Gran Paradiso National Park is an easy trail that takes you through a beautiful valley along the Valnontey River. You will see stunning mountains, amazing glaciers, and waterfalls rushing down the distant steep mountain slopes. At the end of this trail, you will see the breathtaking ice falls - waterfalls, rushing down the glaciers.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Valnontey River Trail
The Valnontey River trail is a great family-friendly hike that leads through a beautiful valley along the Valnontey River. You will see stunning glaciers, towering mountains, amazing waterfalls, and old Italian farms. The trail is wide and easy to follow with almost no elevation gain, which makes it a great walk to do with children.
The Valnontey River hike starts in Valnontey village. Park your car in one of the parking areas in the village. The parking costs 1 Eur per hour or 4 Eur per day.
The trail starts just after the Valnontey village. Head south-west and keep the river to your right.
You will immediately see the views of magnificent mountains around you and a lovely waterfall cascading down from a steep mountain slope. Continue forward and pass a horse enclosure on your left.
Cross a small bridge which will lead you to the other side of the river and continue along the trail, keeping the river to your left.
On a clear day, you will be able to enjoy the views of the glaciers in front of you.
After you pass an old farm, cross the river again to the other side using another bridge. Continue along the trail. You will see some very old buildings; some of them are still used as small farms or houses.
Continue until you reach the crossroad and enjoy the stunning views of the ice falls - waterfalls rushing down the glaciers. Take some time to appreciate the views of gorgeous mountains, rushing streams and the crystal-clear turquoise colors of Valnontey River.
You can go back the same way you came or add one of the more difficult hikes that start from the crossroad and make your hike longer.
Insider Hints for Valnontey River Trail
- The Parking only accepts coins, so try to keep coins on hand for paying for parking. If you don't have coins, the nice people in the cafes nearby will be happy to break your notes for you.
- Have some cash as there are no ATMs nearby. Closest ATM is in Cogne, 3.5km away.
- Visit Bar Lauson for some great coffee and amazing homemade puddings.
Getting to the Valnontey River Trail Trailhead
Head to Cogne, and then take the Rue Grand Paradis Road to drive to Valnontey village. Park your car at one of the car parks, you will need to pay for the parking in coins.
Valnontey River Trail Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Valnontey River Trail Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.