Monte Croce from Palagnana
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The hike up Monte Croce is a stunner! This is another Tuscan hike that doesn’t feel like Tuscany. The route goes via Palagnana, and is a short but beautiful hike. It starts high in the mountain region and provides spectacular views without much of the crowd found in other areas. Note that there are some chains to use on this hike, but the hike isn’t particularly challenging.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Monte Croce from Palagnana
Palagnana is a very small village in the province of Lucca, and the starting point for the hike to Monte Croce, which is a beautiful peak in the province of Tuscany. Palagnana has a nice restaurant to stop in for a snack before heading out on your hike, the delicious Trattoria Dalla Ge'.
The route to Monte Croce is a beautiful hike in Alpi Apuane (the Apuane Alps), a beautiful corner of Tuscany that is nothing like you think Tuscany looks like. This is a Tuscan walk that feels like a hike in the mountains.
Take the first left out of Palagnana, walking on route no. 38. Soon after there are signs that start saying Route No. 8. You reach the fork for Route No 108, known as Foce delle Porchette. There is a small chapel nearby to the left, and great views where you can start to see out to the Mediterranean.
From Foce delle Porchette, retrace your steps for 100 m and then take the left-hand trail that takes you on route number 108. Follow this route across Monte Croce, and then take a left and follow a ridge up to the summit of Monte Croce. There are blue markers that lead up along the path to mark the way, and the path is well-worn all the way to the summit.
Return the way you came as shown on our map. There is a longer, circular variant for your return. If you’d like to try the circular route, descend Monte Croce and continue on Route No 108 in a roughly easterly direction. When you get to a junction with route 137 continue ahead until you come to a junction with Route 135. Go left on Route 135 as it descends back to Palagnana, going through the hamlet of Pioppo.
Insider Hints for Monte Croce from Palagnana
- Grab some sandwiches from Trattoria Dalla Ge’ in Palagnana and have a picnic on the summit of Monte Croce.
- There is no cell service in Palagnana, but some up the mountain.
- It is much cooler up on the mountain, so be sure to bring extra layers.
Getting to the Monte Croce from Palagnana Trailhead
The drive from Lucca to Palagnana is 38.0 km but takes one hour due to very windy roads. Follow the signs out of Luca on the SP12 to SP20 and then SP32. Park in front of the sign that says “Palagnana”. It is also possible to take transit, via bus E12, but this includes a transfer and takes over 2 hours.
Monte Croce from Palagnana Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Monte Croce from Palagnana Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.