- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Goldstream Trestle hike is a pleasant family-friendly hike in Goldstream Provincial Park. It has you traversing through an underground tunnel, along creek beds and boardwalks until you reach Victoria's Niagara Falls, cascading down a carpet of flora, and later on, the photo-worthy trestle. Do avoid going on the trestle, though!
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Goldstream Trestle
While the Goldstream Trestle Hike is a family-friendly hike, do note that it has some steep parts, and it leads you to the ever-so dramatic trestle, which has no handrails and can be super dangerous to walk on. It’s advised to stay off of it.
However, this hike snakes along a variety of terrain. It leads to a collection of stunning views such as Victoria’s Niagara Falls and the old trestle, which sprawls across Niagara Creek Canyon.
Start the hike by walking to the left of the highway. Follow the signs guiding you to the visitor centre. Do not wander off of this trail, no matter how many junctions you come across. En route, you’ll cross a bridge before taking the tunnel on the left. The tunnel will take you across the highway. The path will then follow the creek bed until it reaches Niagara Falls. Take the trail on the left side until you get to the bottom of breathtaking falls.
Then, retrace your steps back to the highway—it only takes a few minutes—and take the flat trail on the side of the road heading south. Eventually, you’ll reach a blue arrow directing you to the left. Follow the arrow. When you get to the chain-linked fence, continue left. The path takes you to a bridge that crosses Niagara Creek and above the cascading waterfall.
After viewing the waterfall, continue ascending until you reach a junction. Don’t follow the blue arrow. Keep going straight. After a few more minutes of walking, you’ll reach the historic trestle. Return the same way you came.
Insider Hints for Goldstream Trestle
- There are picnic tables, firepits, and bathrooms by the parking lots dotting this park.
- Torrential downpour may prevent you from walking the underground tunnel, but you can always park on the opposite side of the highway in a gravel lot.
- Avoid going on the trestle!
Getting to the Goldstream Trestle Trailhead
Head to the Golden Falls Parking Lot off Malahat Drive in Goldstream Provincial Park.
Goldstream Trestle Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Goldstream Trestle Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.