Great Divide Route (1A)
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This bumpy bike ride follows a deteriorating, paved road from Lake Louise Drive along the retired highway 1A, now closed to vehicle traffic. Enjoy this peaceful ride past the great divide and into Yoho National Park.
View Great Divide Route (1A) on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Great Divide Route (1A)
Begin riding west from the Great Divide parking lot onto the paved Great Divide Trail. This trail is very bumpy, as the road is slowly being reclaimed by the forest.
This is the old highway, which is now closed for vehicles. Enjoy some history as you ride through the forest towards the great divide monument.
This trail has minimal elevation gain or loss until you reach the hill down to the Lake O’Hara parking lot, and is quite easy to complete. As you pass the divide and cross into British Columbia, you will be entering Yoho National Park.
You will pass some small lakes as you approach the Lake O'hara Road, where bikes are not permitted. Turn around here and ride back the way you came.
If you feel like you need to add more distance after this bike ride, try the Moraine Lake Road, which is a rewarding way to see one of Canada’s prime jewels. You can easily access the Moraine Lake Road from the same parking lot as this trail.
Insider Hints for Great Divide Route (1A)
- Bring your family on this easy and tranquil bike ride that goes from Lake Louise down to Yoho National Park.
- Add on Moraine Lake road to work a little harder and receive a rewarding view at the end.
- Arrive early, as parking fills up fast in summer!
- Bring bearspray, as this bike ride is usually pretty quiet.
Getting to the Great Divide Route (1A) Trailhead
Our map starts at the Great Divide parking lot, which is the best situated parking lot for this route, and usually the last one to fill up in the morning. In summer, getting here after 8am means there is a chance it can be full.
Great Divide Route (1A) Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Great Divide Route (1A) Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.