Douglas Fir Trail
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Get some fresh mountain air right in the heart of the city with a hike on the Douglas Fir Trail. Strap on your hiking boots because this trail can be challenging, featuring changing elevation and large steps. Feel small along the giant Douglas Fir trees and be sure to stop at the lookout points to enjoy the panoramic views.
View Douglas Fir Trail on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Douglas Fir Trail
Set out on the Douglas Fir hiking trail from the Edworthy Park South parking lot, heading east on the Bow River Pathway trail next to the water.
Continue a short distance until the road splits into a Y shape, taking the path to the right. Here, you’ll start the Douglas Fir Trail, with your first stop being the elevated Douglas Fir Trail Lookout Platform. Pull out your camera to snap some pictures of the outstanding views over the Bow River and the surrounding cityscape.
Hike further along the trail as it rises in grade, making for a fun challenge. Continue along for 1.0km as the trail goes up and down on steep routes, often over tree roots and with a lot of stairs to climb. Warning: there are a lot of stairs! Don’t try to bring a stroller or you might not get very far.
After you reach a small junction, turn left and start walking back towards the car park with the train tracks following you on your right. Some people go all the way to the Douglas Fir Trail East and cross the train tracks towards the Bow River. But please note that this is dangerous and illegal and you can get fined $600 for doing it.
Once you’re back at Edworthy Park parking lot, we always do a circular route that takes us up the hill with nice views. From the parking lot head North, Northeast along the road and then go left on a trail through the forest that rises up to the ridge. Enjoy stunning views on the ridge and then come down the steep, direct route back to the parking lot.
Insider Hints for Douglas Fir Trail
- This route has lots of changing elevation and big steps, so strollers are not recommended.
- There are several places you can drop off the paved trail to enjoy a picnic on the banks of the Bow River.
- Bring your own snacks and picnic blankets.
- The steps are hard to follow when snowy or icy, so we recommend saving this one for warmer, drier months.
Getting to the Douglas Fir Trail Trailhead
From downtown Calgary, follow 6 Ave SE West and Bow Trail SW to Windermere Road SW. Follow Windermere Road SW and go left on Spruce Drive, which turns into Edworthy Street SW. Follow this road down the hill to the Edworthy Park South parking lot.
Douglas Fir Trail Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Douglas Fir Trail Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.