Grand Union Canal – Tring to Berkhamsted
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Enjoy a picturesque walk alongside the historic Grand Union Canal, from the train station in Tring to the train station in Berkhamsted. Watch the ducks swim lazily past boats navigating the locks.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Grand Union Canal – Tring to Berkhamsted
Turn left out of Tring station. Walk along the footpath and cross when you near the bridge. Go down the steps on the right. Walk under the bridge and join the canal path to Berkhamsted, with the canal on your right.
Follow this same path the entire way. During this pleasant jaunt you will encounter 7 locks and 7 bridges, all of which provide interesting views!
After 3.2 km you will reach Cow Roast Marina. Take time to stop on the bridge and see the canal boats moored together. Shortly after Cow Roast you will need to cross the road and join the path on the other side, this time with the canal on your left.
As you start to reach Berkhamsted the canal will get busier, the trail widens, and the houses start to appear. As the path ends it passes through a park and turns a wide bend. Here you will see the station on the other side of the canal. The path then leads uphill to Mill Street, and you will see a double bridge with a road and a separate footbridge with railings. Cross here to reach the station.
If you are still up for an adventure, turn right instead of crossing the bridge. Follow the road all the way to the high street, about 5 minutes away.
Insider Hints for Grand Union Canal – Tring to Berkhamsted
- Plan to stop at one of the many independent eateries in Berkhamsted. The Black Goo Café on the top floor of the Home and Colonial Antique Shop has a particularly good vegan and gluten free selection.
- There are no facilities along the way, so prepare if travelling with younger members of the family!
Getting to the Grand Union Canal – Tring to Berkhamsted Trailhead
Take the train to Tring station or park in the station car park using postcode HP23 5QR. Return to the car park via the train from Berkhamsted after completing the walk. Alternatively, park at Berkhamsted station using postcode HP4 2AJ, take the train to Tring, and then return to Berkhamsted on foot.
Grand Union Canal – Tring to Berkhamsted Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Grand Union Canal – Tring to Berkhamsted Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Clipper Down and Steps Hill Walk
- Clipper Down, Steps Hill, and Pittone Hill Loop
- Aldbury, Ivinghoe Beacon, and Ashridge Circular
- Bridgewater Monument North Trail
- Clipper Down
- Hertfordshire Way and Ashridge Forest Circular Walk
- Ashridge Boundary Run Trail
- Northchurch Common, Ashridge Estate Walk
- Ashridge Forest Circular Walk
- College Lake Wildlife Circular Walk
- Tring Park and Hastoe Walk
- Ashridge Boundary Trail