Kellerjoch Loop Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Kellerjoch Loop is a relatively easy Innsbruck hike that takes you through lush green meadows to the peak of Kellerjoch. You’ll have an amazing 360° view from Kellerjoch. The view of the Inntal from Kellerjoch is one of the best in all of Austria.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Kellerjoch Loop Hike
Use the chairlift to go up the mountain to Hecher Haus (restaurant and hotel). Right next to the hotel there are two trails. One trail leads up the hill to Arbeserkogel and the other one passes beside the hill on its right. Take the path passing Arbeserkogel on the right.
In the beginning you’ll walk through a light forest. As you ascend, the forest quickly disappears, and soon you’ll be able to see the Kellerjochhütte mountain hut and Kellerjoch peak directly in front of you!
There are some junctions with paths leading to neighbouring areas: ignore them. Just continue straight up the hill in front of you towards the Kellerjochhütte hut; it’ll always be in view. From the trailhead, it will take about 1h to reach Kellerjochhütte and another twenty minutes from the hut to Kellerjoch peak. On the peak there is a nice little chapel where you can sit down and enjoy the views. In good weather you can even see Großglockner from here—the highest mountain in Austria!
Use the same trail to get back to Kellerjochhütte. Once you’re at Kellerjochhütte, continue to the left along the mountain crest. You’ll be walking along a ridgeline towards Kuhmesser peak.
At Kuhmesser there is only one trail that you can follow. The trail leads down the hill towards some huts. Follow it until you reach a junction in the forest. At this junction go right. There is also a sign saying “Kellerjochbahn/Hecher Haus”. This trail will take you back to the trailhead.
After a while, you’ll reach a little farmer village (two to three huts) called Naunzer Alm. Pass this little settlement and continue on the road for about five minutes. The road will turn sharply to the left: don’t follow it. In front of you there is a little trail leading into the forest. This trail brings you back to the trailhead in about fifteen minutes. Take the chairlift back to the parking lot.
Insider Hints for Kellerjoch Loop Hike
- You can sleep in the Kellerjochhütte hut to enjoy the sunset/sunrise. But make sure to reserve it early because this hut is quite small and very popular!
- The chairlift is not open everyday of the week. Usually it is closed on Mondays, but it is best to check at the tourist office because this can change from year to year!
- You'll have the best view of the Inntal midmorning when the sun is on your back!
Getting to the Kellerjoch Loop Hike Trailhead
Drive to the Kellerjochbahn chairlift station in the village of Pillberg/Grafenast. Park your car in the chairlift parking lot, and take the chairlift up to Hecher Haus.
Kellerjoch Loop Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Kellerjoch Loop Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.