Sellraintaler Höhenweg Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Sellraintaler Höhenweg is strenuous day hike with a distinctly Austrian name. The trail takes you through the valley of Sellrain with rewarding vistas. It’s one of the wildest and least crowded areas to hike near Innsbruck.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Sellraintaler Höhenweg Hike
Leave St. Sigmund towards the village of Haggen. After about five minutes, walking next to the street, you will see a junction to the right. There is a signpost showing the direction to Sonnbergalm. Follow the signs up the road. Soon you will cross a little bridge and afterwards there is another junction. Go right onto the forest road in the direction of Sonnbergalm.
After about 1h you will reach the next junction. The left path goes to Sonnbergalm (five min) and the right path will take you along the Sellrainer Höhenweg trail to the village of Sellrain. Take the trail going right, following the forest road. Soon after the junction, the trail goes up the mountain to the left (leaving the forest road), and you will see red-white-red markings on some stones!
Follow this trail along the slopes of the mountain for around 1.5-2h. There are three junctions on the way, but you’ll always follow the red-white-red markings on the stones and trees. Also there are signposts at the junctions. You’ll always want to take the Sellrainer Höhenweg trail. The other trails lead you to nearby peaks or down into the valley. You’ll stay at approximately the same altitude with a lot of little (but steep) ups and downs.
After 1.5-2h you will reach a junction with a bench and a big cross. You’ll be able to see Innsbruck from here. Also, you will see a little hill in front of you with a summit cross on its peak. It is called Kögele. You can summit it if you like; it is just five minutes off the trail and it has amazing views over the Inntal, Innsbruck and the surrounding mountains.
Afterwards, go back on the trail you came from and descend along the ridgeline (following the signs saying ‘St. Quirin’ or ‘Sellrain’). You will walk along the ridge above the treeline for about 30-40 minutes. Always follow the red-white-red markings. Take your time on the descent; it is very steep!
After about 1h from Kögele you will reach two or three little houses. When you see them you know you’ll reach the street soon. Follow this street down to the village of Sellrain. If you left your car at the start you can either take the bus or a taxi back to St. Sigmund to get back to your car.
Insider Hints for Sellraintaler Höhenweg Hike
- If you have enough time and endurance, you can summit Rosskogel along the way. You will see the trail going up the mountain (to the left) at one of the junctions along the way. You will have outstanding vistas over the whole area. There is also a hut called Rosskogelhütte where you can sleep and make it a two-day hike.
- If you’re looking to grab some good photos, you’ll have the best light in the afternoon. So, start early in the day and make your way up to the beautiful viewpoints.
- If you want to travel by public transportation, check the bus plan before the hike because in the shoulder season the busses do not run regularly.
Getting to the Sellraintaler Höhenweg Hike Trailhead
Drive to the village of St. Sigmund im Sellrain and park your car there. You can also leave your car at the end of the hike in Sellrain and take a bus to the start. The hike begins to the west of the village.
Sellraintaler Höhenweg Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Sellraintaler Höhenweg Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.