- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Ahornspitze hike is spectacular! The trail begins at the top of the Ahornbahn lift, which you take from Mayrhofen. The hike takes you high in the mountains and gently increases in height up to Edelweißhütte. From there, the trail gets more and more exposed towards the last few kilometres before gaining the summit of Ahornspitze.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Ahornspitze Hike
Take the Ahornbahn lift up and follow the signs located straight ahead when you get out of the lift to Edelweißhütte/Ahornspitze.
Walk around the little lake and use the gate to your left to get on the trail. The trail continues and goes over a small rise, before coming down to cross a mountain stream and then passes a stable.
From the stable the path increases in height and heads towards the Edelweißhütte. It usually takes 1-1.5 hours to reach Edelhütte, a good place to stop for a bite, they have a pretty good schnitzel. It can be pretty busy on weekends here.
From Edelhütte, walk up the well-marked path to the plateau. When you arrive at a field of rocks, you are already in front of the Ahornspitze. Keep an eye out for either round red marks or red and white stripes on the ground and follow them up the right-hand side of Ahornspitze.
When you get to the shoulder of Ahornspitze, the hike gets much steeper. This is a great view and many hikers stop here, not wanting to do the final, more challenging push to the actual summit.
If you want to get to the summit of Ahornspitze, then follow the path up along the red points. You will climb over boulders and before you know it, you’ll be near the summit. Take a sharp left at the top, where you reach the south summit of Ahornspitze. From here, you can see the cross nearby.
The views from the top of Ahornspitze are spectacular. Spend some time here, then begin the careful descent back to Edelhütte and then back to Ahornbahn and a gondola ride back into Mayrhofen.
Our route shows an alternate return from Edelhütte, it is a nice way to take in more of the scenery.
Insider Hints for Ahornspitze Hike
- Have a little chat with the owner or servers at Edelweißhütte about the conditions at the Ahornspitze. They might have some tips for you.
- Have a meal at the Edelweißhütte after getting down from Ahornspitze.
- Start early and watch your time to ensure you catch the last lift ride back down to Mayrhofen. Check lift times before you start. Note that in the summer they do offer a Hiker’s Gondola that starts an hour earlier, allowing you more time to complete your hike.
- If you are not an advanced hiker, consider just hiking to Edelweißhütte, as this makes for a perfect family day.
- Click the link to find out more about hiking the Austrian Alps.
Getting to the Ahornspitze Hike Trailhead
The start of this hike is in Mayrhofen, at the Ahornbahn gondola station. There is parking at the Ahornbahn station in the center of town.
Ahornspitze Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Ahornspitze Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.