Kleiner Gilfert Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The hike up to Kleiner Gilfert is a great, gentle hike starting with a wide path that spreads almost all the way up to Kleiner Gilfert. At the top, you will find a majestic peace-cross with 9 major religions represented on it. You will also be rewarded with an awesome view of the Tuxer glacier.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Kleiner Gilfert Hike
Start at the parking lot, head out south, away from Hochfügen. Follow the toboggan run to pass Pfundsalm Niederleger. You will find a few small huts along the way. These are used by farmers to stay close to their cows during summertime.
Keep left on the trail, passing a wooden fountain, and follow the yellow signs to get deeper into the valley. Keep right at the next 2 intersections to follow the route to Kleiner Gilfert, staying on the wide, big road. After a 90° curve you arrive at the Pfundsalm Hochleger; it which is only for private use for farmers.
Continue hiking up to your left in front of the first hut and stay on this road around a small peak until a yellow sign leads you right onto a small path. Take the steep and small hike up and follow the red/white marks on rocks or wooden sticks all the way to the summit. Close to the top, you will have to step over a fence; this is used to separate herds.
Once on the summit you can walk along the ridge in either direction. It’s about 4.0 km to Rastkogel to your south.
Return to your car using the same route you have just completed.
Insider Hints for Kleiner Gilfert Hike
- There are a range of hotels in Hochfügen. The Berghotel Hochfügen is very nice, and is open from the middle of June to the first week in October.
- Take something to eat with you so that you can have a nice picnic on top.
- On your way back to Fügen, be sure to stop at Schellenberg restaurant, located after the avalanche part of the road. They have the best Wiener Schnitzel in the area.
- Click the link to find out more about hiking the Austrian Alps.
Getting to the Kleiner Gilfert Hike Trailhead
From Mayrhofen, Follow Zillertal Str./B169 to Fügen. Exit from Zillertal Str./B169 on to Pankrazbergstraße Turn right onto Turn right onto Hochfügener Str. and stay on it as it turns into Hochfügenerstraße/Pankrazberg. Continue on the mountain road to Hochfügen. Park in front of Zillertal Shuttle.
Kleiner Gilfert Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Kleiner Gilfert Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.