Panoramaweg Penken Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
If you are looking for an amazing family day with your kids near Mayrhofen, then Penken is the destination to visit. This location offers lots of playgrounds, water activities, and an amazing view from 2,000 m up.
View Panoramaweg Penken Hike on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Panoramaweg Penken Hike
Take the Penkenbahn lift 1,800 m up the mountain. Enjoy the 360° view in the gondola as you leave Mayrhofen.
Once at the top, start hiking up the big gravel road, staying to the right when the path splits. After some turns, you reach the first playground located at an altitude of 1,950 m. behind the playground, there is a small lake where kids and adults can experience walking on water without getting wet in ‘Funballz’, gigantic plastic balls filled with air.
Continue along the road. As you climb higher, there will be some amazing views over the Zillertal, Ahronspitze, and Tristner - some of the steepest and highest mountains around Mayrhofen. You will come to the Penken Panorama Restaurant which offers a great place to take in the views and have a snack, however there will be another opportunity to eat further ahead at the Sun Terrace.
A little further is another lake, head to the right around the lake and you will come a cross a tiny chapel in the shape of a cube. Take a look inside, it is really beautiful, and this is a great place to hang out and enjoy the scenery. Continuing along this road you will find the second restaurant where you can easily take a break in the sunshine. Once you have finished your snack, head back towards the lake, again keeping to the right. Once you reach the Penken Panorama Restaurant, take the path to your right to continue in a loop.
Along the way, you will pass some beautiful alps and small farms. You may wish to take a moment to watch the cows and enjoy the beautiful summer day. Once at the bottom of the zig zag path, go left and back towards the lift station. Along the way enjoy the views back to the valley.
Insider Hints for Panoramaweg Penken Hike
- This hike is the perfect destination for a hot summer day.
- Check out the opening hours and current fees for the lift
- Check out the range of things to do at Granatalm. There are activities for kids and adults like rock climbing, tours with a mountain scooter, and a motor skill park.
- Ask at your hotel for if you get a discount for the lift.
- You can take a stroller up to Penken Park just be aware that there are no asphalt roads so the tires should be big enough for the gravel road.
Getting to the Panoramaweg Penken Hike Trailhead
From the center of Mayrhofen, make a right turn on the main road and follow the signs to Ahornbahn lift station (there is no parking at Penkenbahn). Watch out for the famous Après Ski Bar “Brück’n Stadl” and make a left directly in front of it. Parking at the big parking lot at Ahornbahn is free if you take one of the lifts. Now, walk back on main road to Penkenbahn lift station.
Panoramaweg Penken Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Panoramaweg Penken Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.