Themenwanderung Bergmähderweg Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This stunning hike starts with a great view of the Zillertal Alps. Along the Themenwanderung Bergmähderweg, you will cross several wildflower fields and pass working farms without any engines, just like they used to many years ago. Following through old roads and winding paths, you will reach the Kolmhaus and be graced with a fantastic view of the majestic Ahornspitze.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Themenwanderung Bergmähderweg Hike
Start your hike across from the Gasthof Thanner, a popular hotel with a good restaurant. Follow the steep small path up through the first field. At this point, you can already see some beautiful wildflowers.
Go through a gate and continue slightly to the right along a road. There are lots of benches along the way, inviting you to take a short break and enjoy the amazing view. Always follow the yellow signs saying “Bergmähderweg” and “Kolmhaus”.
After the last house, the trail leads into the woods, a beautiful sight on hot summer days. Here you can choose if you stay on the gravel road or take some steep shortcuts all the way up to Kolmhaus. Keep an eye out for unique flowers and small rivers along the way up.
The path is steep here, so pace yourself. The last 800 m of the walk, while still steep, feels fairly flat compared to the initial path through the forest.
To return, turn back and follow the way you came, sticking to the signs to Brandberg.
Insider Hints for Themenwanderung Bergmähderweg Hike
- It is a steep hike at the beginning but offers a lot of benches to rest.
- Don’t do this hike on wet or rainy days, it can be a terror.
- Get a snack at Kolmhaus and stop for a visit at the Gasthofrestaurant Thanner. The Kaiserschmarrn, a sweet traditional Austrian dish is served here and it is delicious!
- You can also hike from Mayrhofen, it adds 4.6 km and 450 m+ of elevation gain. It takes between 75 and 90 minutes each way. Details are here.
Getting to the Themenwanderung Bergmähderweg Hike Trailhead
From Mayrhofen head take Brandbergstraßeto the town of Brandberg until you reach the restaurant “Thanner”. There is a parking lot for hikers behind the building on your right.
Themenwanderung Bergmähderweg Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Themenwanderung Bergmähderweg Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.