Zittauer Hütte Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The hike to Zittauer Hütte offers a moderate hike for both the young and old. There is lots to see on this route as it is located next to an almost faded glacier; enjoy the beautiful lake, and stunning mountain views.
View Zittauer Hütte Hike on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Zittauer Hütte Hike
The starting point for the wonderful hike to Zittauer Hütte can be found at the restaurant Finkau.
From here, the gravel road goes south, leading you into the woods where you can choose between the wider bike road or the narrow walking path.
If you take the walking path, continue your hike next to the wild stream; this feels amazing on hot summer days.
Along the way, there are some steeper shortcuts through the woods that are all labelled with yellow signs if you want to gain altitude faster.
Passing the Trisslalm, enjoy the free-roaming cows and watch the glacier as it sparkles through the backdrop of the woods as you get closer to the small, steep hiking path.
On the stairs made out of wood and stone, you can easily get up to Zittauer Hütte in quick time.
Zittauer Hütte is located near Unterer Gerlossee, and the views from here are quite incredible. The hut is also spectacular, offering great food and pleasant sleeping quarters.
If you have the energy, you can continue on to the summit of Rosskopf, a 1.5-2h hike which grants even better views
Return the same way you came.
Insider Hints for Zittauer Hütte Hike
- We recommend using the walking path due to its nice benches and viewing points - great to take some Instagram-worthy pictures.
- If there are cows around the hiking path do not pet them. Especially be aware if you have a dog with you. You can take pictures but do not walk over because they are usually young animals up there and easily frightened.
- Have a meal at Zittauerhütte, their cuisine is delicious.
Getting to the Zittauer Hütte Hike Trailhead
From Mayrhofen follow B169 towards Zell am Ziller and take the exit for B165. Stay on this road as it passes the holiday destination Gerlos with all the lift stations and continue on the street. Watch out for a big sign at an intersection saying “Zittauerhütte” and take that turn before the toll station. Continue on this side road to Finkau and park in front of the restaurant (5€ per day).
Zittauer Hütte Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Zittauer Hütte Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.