- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The most popular trail in the park, the Delicate Arch hike leads up a steep slick rock section to the amphitheater surrounding the namesake arch. Typically underestimated by enthusiastic tourists, this hike can get really hot in the summer, making the already steep elevation gain even harder. The combination of the amazing views along the way and the level of effort you need to invest in it has earned the Delicate Arch Trail its place on the list of the best hikes in the USA.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Delicate Arch
After hopefully finding a parking spot, begin at the trailhead beside the two pit toilets. The path is very wide and starts out quite flat. You will nearly immediately pass by the historic Wolfe Ranch cabin. John Wesley Wolfe moved here to herd cattle and farm in the area. His sturdy homestead - which at one point housed himself, his son, his daughter and her family - remains to this day.
Continuing along the trail you will climb to gain a ridge. From here the path climbing along a section of slick-rock is clearly visible on the horizon, and you will almost certainly see dozens of other hikers making the same pilgrimage as yourself. Shortly you will step onto the rock and start the climb up. This section of the hike is quite steep, and totally exposed to the sun. Pack plenty of extra water!
Upon reaching the top of the smooth rocky climb you still have a little ways to go. You will weave in and out of small rocky towers and large resilient bushes, following cairns, trail markers, and all the other people on the trail. The final section of the path leads beside a cliff, however the Park Service have blasted out the rock on the ridge to be perfectly flat (and wide), so no one should have any trouble.
After rounding the final corner you will be treated to a stunning view of Delicate Arch. The largest arch in the park, this stunning piece of nature seems to defy gravity. A natural amphitheater has been created surrounding the arch, yielding a great place to relax and enjoy the view! If you want a photo of yourself underneath the arch, be prepared to wait in line. Return the way you came.
Insider Hints for Delicate Arch
- Going early in the day beats the crowds, beats the heat, and gives the best light to photograph Delicate Arch without all the pesky people.
- If the parking lot is really full, park at the end of the road and hike the 1.6 km back to the trailhead.
Getting to the Delicate Arch Trailhead
From Moab, drive north along the 191, crossing the Colorado River until you reach the signposted turn towards Arches National Park. Pay your dues at the park entrance, then drive along the Arches Scenic Drive for 18.5 km. Turn right onto Delicate Arch Rd, and in 1.9 km pull into the extremely crowded parking lot on your left, signposted as being for the Delicate Arch Trail. Do not follow Delicate Arch Rd until its terminus.
Delicate Arch Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Delicate Arch Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Sand Dune Arch to Broken Arch Loop
- Sand Dune Arch and Broken Arch Trail
- The Cove of Caves via Parade of Elephants Trail
- Eye of the Whale Trail
- Delicate Arch Viewpoint
- Windows Loop to Turret Arch
- Wolfe Ranch and Petroglyph Trail
- Windows Loop Trail
- Sand Dune Arch Trail
- Fiery Furnace and Surprise Arch
- Double Arch
- Balanced Rock