Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk
The Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk in Nidderdale takes you on a stunning stroll through incredible scenery. Explore the lake that mirrors the clouds and the enchanting woodlands. Wander along the ancient walls that border this walk as well!
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk
The Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk can get muddy in the spring and winter months, so make sure to wear appropriate footwear. You are able to wander along this path in the winter, but be sure to watch your step as it can be icy, and some areas do not have railings.
The easy circular walk that curves around Swinsty Reservoir in the Yorkshire Dales begins at the car park on the eastern side of the reservoir. The path follows the footpath through enchanting woodlands and takes you to the Fewston Embankment. During this time, you will pass Fewston. Continue along the Fewston Embankment, which showcases panoramic views of the Swinsty Reservoir and the Fewston Reservoir.
Follow the path to the woodlands that flows through the Swinsty Moor plantation. As you continue along, you will walk through an area that houses Swinsty Hall. You will then arrive at the Swinsty Embankment, which boasts amazing views of the River Washburn Valley. Eventually, you will reach a small body of water, where you can sometimes see a mirror image of the clouds reflecting in the glassy water on a clear day.
Spend some time exploring this area (consider packing a picnic!). As you move on, you will come to the woodlands filled with beautiful, bright green trees again. At some points, you can see the lake shimmering through a break in the trees. You will come back around and return to the car park where you began as this is a circular walk.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk family-friendly?
Yes, the Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk can be a family-friendly outing.
Is the Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk dog friendly?
Yes, the Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk is dog-friendly.
Is the Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk open during Covid?
Yes, the Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk is open during Covid.
Insider Hints for Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk
- Head to the The Fewston Farm Shop for knick-knacks, snacks and coffee/tea
- The Washburn Valley Heritage Centre is dog-friendly and provides water and treats for dogs
- Visit the RHS Garden Harlow Carr which showcases the natural landscapes of this area
- Stop at the Turkish Baths Harrogate to experience a traditional Turkish bath
- Visit William and Victoria restaurant
- Book a night at the Yorkshire Hotel
Getting to the Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk Trailhead
To get to the Swinsty and Fewston Reservoir Walk from Harrogate, take Prospect Place to W Park/A61 and turn right onto W Park/. A61. Take Penny Pot Lane to B6451 and turn left onto B6451. Continue on Wydra Lane, and in 3.4 km, arrive at your destination.
Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Swinsty Reservoir Circular Walk Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Bolton Abbey to Barden Bridge Circular Walk
- Bolton Abbey and the River Wharfe Walk
- Bolton Abbey, River Wharfe, and Hare Head Circular Walk
- Beamsley Beacon Trail
- Haystacks and Twelve Apostles Walk
- Thruscross Reservoir Walk
- Simon’s Seat and Valley of Desolation Walk
- Bolton Bridge to Simon’s Seat Walk
- Bolton Abbey and Barden Moor Walk
- Brimham Rocks Walk
- Brimham Rocks and Moor Walk
- Swinsty and Fewston Reservoir Walk