Refuge du Fond des Fours
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
A hike to the Refuge du Fond des Fours is a perfect family hike in Vanoise National Park. Close to Val d’Isere, this is a fun day out. Hike through pastures close to a cute stream as you gently climb to the Refuge du Fond des Fours.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Refuge du Fond des Fours
This hike starts along the road beside the Manchet Express ski lift. Throughout the hike to the Refuge du Fond des Fours there is signage, so ensure you follow the signs indicating Fond des Fours.
From where you parked your car, continue walking along the road. After crossing the Ruisseau de la Calabourdane take a left and continue on the track until the EDF Site (Electricity supplier).
At the EDF Site stay to the right, which climbs up regularly until a footbridge crossing a stream called Ruisseau des Fours. Cross this stream and continue along the path as it heads south. Soon another path joins from your left. After a small climb you will arrive at the Refuge du Fond des Fours.
This classic French refuge is nestled in a stunning location. Known for the hospitality of the owners, this is a wonderful place to stop for a snack or spend a night. With a wonderful patio, a sunny day can be enjoyed surrounded by stunning scenery.
To return to your car, you’ll unfortunately have to leave the stunning scenery surrounding Refuge du Fond des Fours and hike back along the same route you came in on.
Insider Hints for Refuge du Fond des Fours
- Go in the morning and stop at the Refuge du Fond des Fours for lunch, or order a picnic to take and enjoy your beautiful surroundings.
- Bring some binoculars; chamois, marmots, and bearded vultures are common in the area.
- The Refuge du Fond des Fours is a good base for a weekend exploring the nearby area, and they can share a lot of hiking options from the refuge. It is also on a variant of the famous GR5 hike, and you could create a trek as long or as short as you like that passes along this route.
Getting to the Refuge du Fond des Fours Trailhead
From the center of Val d’Isère, at the roundabout close to the tourist office leave the major road (D902) and take the exit towards Parc des Sports du Manchet or Vallée du Manchet. Pass the sporting facility and park your car close to the Manchet Express Ski Lift. The hike begins at the base of the lift.
Refuge du Fond des Fours Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Refuge du Fond des Fours Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.