Artist Point to Point Sublime
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This is a spectacular hike in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Start at Artist Point – the best viewpoint in all of the national park. Continue along a dirt trail to Point Sublime, a wonderful path with the potential to link up to other routes as well.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Artist Point to Point Sublime
This is an exceptional hike, and offers the ability to extend by linking up with the route along the South Rim and Uncle Tom's Trail. Take care with children, as this hike has cliffs that are not protected by fences. Also, don't go too close to the edge of cliffs, as these are constantly crumbling.
From the parking lot, there is a clear path to begin your hike, almost immediately coming to Artist Point, a stunning viewpoint that is often quite busy. Here you get great views of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone as well as Lower Yellowstone Falls.
From Artist Point, a dirt path leads into the trees. This path is signed as a backcountry path, and there are no services along this trail. You come to repeated viewpoints that provide exceptional scenery up and down the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. These will overwhelm you.
Almost immediately you will gain some elevation and then the path meanders up and down as you make your way out to Point Sublime. Point Sublime is not as spectacular as other viewpoints, and there is better scenery along the path to Point Sublime than the point itself.
Return along the same path. The views are just as spectacular with sights of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and the falls.
Back at the parking lot you can decide if you want to walk the South Rim. The path for this wonderful walk leads out from the opposite side of the parking lot.
Insider Hints for Artist Point to Point Sublime
- You can combine this trail with the hike along South Rim taking in Uncle Tom's Trail.
- Head over to Canyon Village afterwards for a celebratory ice cream at the Canyon Village General Store.
Getting to the Artist Point to Point Sublime Trailhead
From Canyon Village, head south on Grand Loop Road for 3.4 km. Turn left on South Rim Drive and proceed for 2.6 km to the Artist Point parking lot at the end of the road.
Artist Point to Point Sublime Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Artist Point to Point Sublime Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Clear Lake and Artist’s Point Loop
- Artist’s Point, Lily Pad Lake, and Clear Lake Loop
- Hike from Seven Mile Hole to Mount Washburn Spur
- South Rim to Ribbon Lake Loop
- Ribbon Lake Trail
- Brink of Lower Falls via the North Rim Trail
- North Rim Trail to Red Rock Point, Lookout Point and Grand View
- Lily Pad Lake via Artist’s Point
- Canyon Rim South Trail to Artist Point
- Artist Point Trail
- Red Rock Point via Red Point Trail
- South Rim