- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Rising above the grassy planes and the herds of buffalo, the hike up Bunsen Peak will give you a new perspective on where you have been travelling. The short climb on a well-maintained trail is well worth the plentiful views of Yellowstone!
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Bunsen Peak
Shortly after starting up the trail you will come to a junction, take the left path leading up to Bunsen Peak. This trail switchbacks mildly up the entire mountain – a fantastic introduction to gaining some elevation in a hike.
As you hike and from the top you will able to look north down the Golden Gate Canyon toward Mammoth. The most visible views will be of Electric Peak and the Gallatin Range to the west. Beautiful – albeit dead – standing trees line the entire climb, as does the ever-expanding view of the Swan Lake Flats.
Two thirds of the way up the hike you will get a view of the impressive rock feature called Cathedral Rock. From here the scenes of Mammoth Hot Springs and Mount Everts are the best.
Insider Hints for Bunsen Peak
- To extend the hike continue down the west side of Bunsen Peak (a looser trail), then loop back along the flat Bunsen Peak Road.
Getting to the Bunsen Peak Trailhead
Drive south of Mammoth towards Norris Junction for 8.0 km and turn off at the Bunsen Peak parking lot. The turnoff is just as you leave the Golden Gate Canyon. This miniscule parking lot fills up nearly instantaneously, so get there early.
Bunsen Peak Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Bunsen Peak Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Palette Spring via Mammoth Terraces Trail
- Lava Creek Canyon Trail to Undine Falls
- Clagett Butte and Snow Pass Circuit
- Bunsen Peak Loop
- Terrace Mountain Trail
- Osprey Falls Via Old Bunsen Peak Road
- Osprey Falls Trail
- Sheepeater Cliff Trail
- Beaver Ponds Loop
- Sepulcher Mountain Trail
- The Hoodoos Trail
- Mammoth Terraces and Upper Terrace Loop