- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Mystic Falls hike in Yellowstone boasts quaint falls with a relatively easy approach, yet yield a beautiful, natural, secluded atmosphere. The cascading falls provide the perfect gurgling background for self-reflection and conversation.
View Mystic Falls on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Mystic Falls
The trail begins as a classic Yellowstone boardwalk, meandering through paint pots and geysers. After the small boardwalk lollipop loop, continue on the now dirt path towards Mystic Falls. Turn left at the junction to have the most direct route to the falls (right goes up to the Biscuit Basin Overlook).
This flat, wide trail meanders through a new growth forest, alongside the Little Firehole River. This river begins west on the Madison Plateau. Beautiful wildflowers can be seen along its entirety.
You will soon reach the falls themselves – all 21 m of them. They are secluded, away from the bustling crowd of Biscuit Basin. The falls start narrowing and expand conically, becoming quite wide at their base. Steam from thermal features line the geyser, as do rocks and wildflowers.
Insider Hints for Mystic Falls
- For a longer hike with a little bit of elevation gain, continue past the falls towards the Biscuit Basin Overlook. This adds some climbing and frames the geysers you have just seen up close.
Getting to the Mystic Falls Trailhead
Drive 4.0 km north of Old Faithful to the Biscuit Basin parking area. Parking in the undersized parking lot can be tough. The trail begins on the left side of the road.
Mystic Falls Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Mystic Falls Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Howard Eaton and Lone Star Trail
- Fairy Falls and Imperial Geyser Loop
- Observation Point
- Solitary Geyser Trail
- Continental Divide Trail to Observation Point and Upper Geyser Hill
- Firehole Falls via the Little Firehole Trail
- Black Sand Basin Trail
- Biscuit Basin to Morning Glory Pool
- Upper Geyser Basin Trail
- Mystic Falls
- Old Faithful Geyser Loop
- Upper Geyser Basin