- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Hessie Trail is a moderately easy winter hike that begins at the historic Hessie Townsite; an old mining town high in the Rocky Mountains. The Hessie Trail winter hike offers a lot of bang for your buck, so to speak, giving way to great mountain views without much effort.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Hessie Trail
The winter hike or snowshoe along the Hessie Trail is a great option if you don’t have a full-day for a trip. Begin the trail at the closed gate at the beginning of Fourth of July Rd. Hike along the snow-covered Fourth of July Rd. to the Hessie Trailhead where there is a sign and map of the surrounding area.
Cross over a bridge and continue through the dense pine forests and aspen groves. You will hike past a historic log cabin which is worth checking out. The trail gains elevation up some short switchbacks to gain views of the entire Fourth of July valley. Once you’ve had enough, turn around and hike back the way you came.
Insider Hints for Hessie Trail
- Hessie Trail is also a popular cross-country skiing destination.
- Snowshoes can be rented in the Town of Nederland at Happy Trails Café or Wild Bear Ecology Center.
- Visit the Town of Nederland!
Getting to the Hessie Trail Trailhead
From Boulder, Colorado, head up Boulder Canyon 119 towards Nederland (approximately 29.0 km) and enter a traffic circle. Take the third exit out of the circle, South onto N Bridge St. / Peak to Peak Hwy. Continue through the town of Nederland and just outside, turn right onto Eldora Rd towards Eldora Ski Resort. Travel through the small town of Eldora through the only stop sign in town; arriving at a closed gate. Parking is along the road.
Hessie Trail Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Hessie Trail Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.