- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Mud Lake is a mountain park located off the Peak to Peak Hwy, it is excellent for beginner cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, winter hiking and fat biking. There are several trails in the area taking you to different overlooks and around Mud Lake, which makes for a really fun, choose your own adventure style day out!
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Mud Lake
A winter hike along the Mud Lake trail is a figure 8 loop, comprising Tungsten Loop and Kinnickinnick Loop. Beginning the trail at the Tungsten Loop, circle around Mud Lake. Mud Lake is not the most amazing lake in the area, as the name suggests, but it is a nice addition to the beautiful forest. Follow the trail to the junction with Kinnickinnick Loop.
There are a couple of overlooks with park benches along the Kinnickinnick Loop providing a place to stop and take in the distant views of Indian Peaks Wilderness. Circle back to the junction between the two loops and rejoin Tungsten Loop and eventually make your way back to the trailhead.
This is a well-travelled trail so the snow will be packed down with snowshoe and ski tracks, as well as footprints. This makes it ideal for fat biking.
Insider Hints for Mud Lake
- Snowshoes can be rented in the Town of Nederland at Happy Trails Café or Wild Bear Ecology Center.
- This is a popular trail for fat biking. These can be rented from the Tin Shed.
- Visit the Town of Nederland!
Getting to the Mud Lake Trailhead
From Boulder, Colorado, head up Boulder Canyon 119 towards Nederland (approximately 29.0 km) and enter a traffic circle. Continue straight through the traffic circle to Peak to Peak Hwy. Approximately 2.4 km out of town there will be a brown sign for Caribou Ranch and Mud Lake Open Space. Take the dirt road to the left, following the signs for Mud Lake and arrive at the parking lot and trailhead.
Mud Lake Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Mud Lake Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.