West Bragg Creek
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The West Bragg Creek cross-country ski trails are an outstanding network of XC ski trails a short drive from Calgary. There are trails for all abilities at West Bragg, and the higher elevation means their snow is typically far superior than that found in Calgary.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for West Bragg Creek
West Bragg Creek is a multi-purpose trail system that has been expanding in recent years. Expect to see fat-bikers, snowshoers, cross-country skiers and lots of families. There is a lot of variety at West Bragg for cross-country skiers; novices and more advanced skiers can have a great day XC skiing at West Bragg.
We rate West Bragg so high due to how close it is to Calgary and how well maintained the trail network is. The quality and proximity make West Bragg really popular with families, especially those that live in SE Calgary, as the drive is under 45 minutes door to door.
There is also typically much better snow here than in Calgary, as the trail network starts at 1,400 m elevation, which is 350 m higher than Calgary.
Our route follows the green Mountain Road trail out from the parking lot, a green trail to start that turns into a blue trail. The route comes back on Mountain Road West and then goes onto Mountain View.
From the parking lot, head west on the Mountain Road trail. This is a wide trail, with pleasant views. After 1.6 km the trail splits, with Moose Connector coming across the Mountain Road Trail. Continue straight on the Mountain Road XC ski trail, now a blue trail.
After 0.9 km, you come to the junction with Mountain View Trail. This is the route you’ll take back, however we like to continue another 1.6 km on Mountain Road, all the way to the connection with Mountain View West Trail, where we will turn around.
Mountain View West is a good XC ski trail, however it is not track-set nearly as often, so we usually turn around here.
Retrace your route and descend 0.9 km until you reach the junction with Mountain View Trail. Go right onto Mountain View, a blue trail that winds around and is very pretty.
After 1.5 km you come to a junction, where you go roughly straight onto the West Crystal Line trail. This route goes through the trees for just over 1 km until you are back in the parking lot.
Insider Hints for West Bragg Creek
- The Greater Bragg Creek Trails Association does a great job in maintaining these trails, and we urge users to donate to support this great organization.
- There are a wide variety of trails at West Bragg, not just cross-country skiing trails, but also snowshoeing, fat biking, and skate skiing. It’s a great place.
- Stop off in Bragg Creek for the fun shops and surprisingly good restaurants. The Italian Farmhouse is one of our favourites. Other good places are the Cinnamon Spoon Café, Powderhorn Saloon and The Bavarian Inn.
- Moose Mountain General Store rents skis and snowshoes.
Getting to the West Bragg Creek Trailhead
From Balsam Ave in Bragg Creek, head west and cross over the Elbow River. At the T intersection go left and drive for 8.9 km on Centre Ave and then it turns into West Bragg Creek Road. There is a large parking lot at the end of the road on the right.
West Bragg Creek Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
West Bragg Creek Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.