- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The walking paths of Calgary’s Nose Hill Park will reward you with panoramic views of downtown Calgary, the Prairies, and the Rocky Mountains, but don’t forget to take time to appreciate the beauty of the rough Fescue grassland on your way up!
View Nose Hill on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Nose Hill
You can do this hike in Nose Hill either clockwise or counterclockwise, but our map reflects the counterclockwise route, as this allows the best views on the way down.
Kick off the Nose Hill hike directly in the Many Owls Valley Parking Lot. Head towards the trail at the far right end of the lot and continue on as it heads uphill through a mixture of grassland and forest. The trail has a switchback, and if you’re pushing a stroller, you’re probably huffing and puffing by now!
Eventually, you reach the top of this section of Nose Hill, with fine views to the south. Once on top of Nose Hill, the trail options are endless. The grassland ecosystem that surrounds you here is one of the few left on the Canadian prairies and sensitive in nature, so be sure to stick to the path.
You’ll quickly come to a 5-way junction where you take the 2nd right onto a path that heads south and then east. You’ll come to a 4-way junction 1.5 km from the car- here, go left and follow the trail. Then, at the next 4-way junction, go left and follow the trail as heads NE before arriving at another 4-way junction (2.9 km from the car), where you go left and head north.
You’ll follow this trail north for 1.0 km, then head left (west) to follow a new path 1.4 km across the center of Nose Hill. As you get nearer to the western edge of Nose Hill, you’ll see several paths that go back down. We like the last path, which takes you down a minor ridge with great views. In your final stretch, keep a trained eye on the tall grasses where deer and coyotes can often be spotted roaming. Or, look up towards the clouds and if you’re lucky, you’ll see a Swainson’s Hawk pass by overhead.
Before you know it, you’re back in the parking lot.
Insider Hints for Nose Hill
- Nose Hill is beautiful, and while we usually start at the Many Owls Valley Parking lot, each parking area gives you access to different trails. This means that each return trip can be a new adventure.
- The road is mostly paved or a wide path, and stroller-friendly for families.
- Right across the road is the Brentwood Area Off-Leash Dog Park in case you’re bringing a fury friend.
- It is not uncommon to see a coyote along the path. Please note, coyotes are generally not a threat to people but should be treated with respect. Never approach or feed a coyote and keep your dogs on leash along the path for their safety.
Getting to the Nose Hill Trailhead
From downtown Calgary, keep right onto the 14 St SW/Mewata Bridge. Continue until a left turn onto John Laurie Blvd West. Then, turn right at Brisebois Dr NW into the Many Owls Valley parking lot.
Nose Hill Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Nose Hill Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.