Long Lake Trail
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This is a short and relatively easy hike with mild elevation gain. What’s even better is that it also offers amazing views around a scenic, lower alpine lake. This is a hike for all ages.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Long Lake Trail
Begin this hike at the Long Lake Trailhead in the Brainard Lake Recreation Area inside the Indian Peaks Wilderness. In approximately a 0.4 km from the start of your hike you will arrive at a trail junction, turn left and cross over a small wooden bridge. You’ll continue the hike along the Jean Lunning Trail.
This scenic trail will circle you half way around Long Lake, providing you with views of the Indian Peaks, Long Lake, and some lush meadows flush with beautiful wildflowers (depending on the season of course).
You’ll travel over moderate terrain until reaching the end of the lake; the trail will reconnect with Pawnee Pass Trail. Make a right and continue to circle back around the opposite side of the lake. You will head back towards the trailhead and parking lot from here.
Insider Hints for Long Lake Trail
- An annual National Park Pass is accepted at the gate, otherwise Brainard Lake Recreation Area is Cash Only ($11 per Passenger Vehicle).
- Gate Fees and more information can be found here.
- Set out on this hike early to avoid the chance of getting caught in an afternoon or evening storm.
Getting to the Long Lake Trail Trailhead
From Boulder drive to and through the town of Ward. Turn right onto CO-72 then quickly turn left onto Brainard Lake Rd. Go through the pay gate heading to Long Lake Trailhead.
Long Lake Trail Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Long Lake Trail Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.