- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The hike to Kredarica is a long, but not technically challenging trip. This hike will take you to Slovenia´s highest mountain hut (2,515 m). You can almost reach out and touch the peak of Mount Triglav. Starting out in the Krma valley’s meadows, this trail will eventually lead you high above the tree line.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Kredarica
From the parking lot, follow the forest road. The road will lead you through some rocky areas. The path will curve right as it heads into the woods, turning into a rocky cart track. The path starts to climb through the forest.
You’ll reach the grassy plain of Vrtača at the height of 1400m. Continue across the plain and - in about 20min - you’ll turn right and enter a wider, grassy plateau. At the junction you’ll continue straight (the left path goes to Vodnik hut through Bohinjska Vratca). Cross the meadow and follow the marked path.
Ascending the overgrown slopes, you will reach a shepherd´s hut at the Zgornja Krma pasture. From the hut you’ll continue slightly to the right to the water trough. At the trough, turn slightly to the right and then walk a few metres higher to the left. Look for a rock with a sign for Kredarica on it.
As the path gains elevation you’ll reach some plains surrounded by pine groves where you’ll find a small crossroad. Continue to the right towards a rocky slope.
At the next junction, follow the signs for Kredarica/Triglavska koča (left of Vodnikov dom and right of Staničev dom). Next, the path begins to climb steeply below the slopes of Snežna konta. The area is called Kalvarija (meaning cavalry).
The gravel path turns to the left and connects with the path from Konjsko sedlo. Continue in the direction of Kredarica and turn right at the next intersection (left of the Planika hut). Following the path to the north you’ll reach a ridge, climbing up a great incline. At the top you’ll finally see the Triglav hut at Kredarica. Enjoy the views and savour your hard work.
When you’ve had your fill, return the way you came up.
Insider Hints for Kredarica
- Orientation is crucial on this trail. You should always carry a mountain map of the Julian Alps with you. You can buy them in the tourist offices in Bled or Mojstrana.
- You can climb to the top of Mount Triglav from Kredarica (climbing skills and proper equipment are, however, required).
- There are few natural water sources along the trail, one at the trailhead near the end of the road, at the Malo Polje meadow and one above the Pastirska hut at Zgornja krma pasture. You will have to treat the water though, so we think it’s easier to bring your own.
Getting to the Kredarica Trailhead
From Bled drive 28.0 km to Mojstrana. Then head in the direction of Radovna village/Krma valley. In 3.5 km take the narrow road at the split. Go 1.0 km then turn right to Krma. Follow the gravel road for 3.0 km. Park at Kovinarska hut or continue 1.5 km ahead to the end of the road.
Kredarica Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.