The Path of The Pagan Girl
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Path of the Pagan Girl is a short trail around the Vršič pass area and is all about the story of the pagan girl. She was a fate deity, cursed by her sisters and forever turned to stone. Follow the path, surrounded by high mountain peaks, and look upon her face. Maybe she will foretell your future.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for The Path of The Pagan Girl
Walk south on the top of Vršič pass. Follow the signs left to Tičarjev dom hut. The first few metres of the trail are on a paved road. Continuing behind the hut, the trail turns to gravel road.
After a short time, the road turns back. Soon, you will spot two military bunkers. Passing the second bunker, follow the road to the right. A few metres later you will be standing in front of an informational sign. This sign will tell you the story of the pagan girl. You can easily spot her stone face ahead of you on the north face of Mount Prisank.
Continue along the gravel road to the left of the sign. Soon you will reach Poštarski dom hut. Behind the hut, you can climb a few meters up to the top of Vršič hill.
If you are hiking with small kids and a stroller you’ll have to go back the same road you came in on. If you don’t have small children, and you want to continue the trail, you have to descend from the hut to the right until you spot a grassy road. This is the old road to Vršič pass, which was made during the first world war. Two switchbacks later you’ll turn left onto a forest path. Follow the path through the forest to the clearing. You will pass a small lodge on the right.
A few metres ahead, the path turns back into a gravel road again, and you can already spot the main Vršič mountain road you came in on. After just a short descent - and few turns later - you’ll be back at the parking site.
Insider Hints for The Path of The Pagan Girl
- Although there are more than five mountain huts at the Vršič pass area, you should definitely stop at Tonka's hut between the 16th and 17th corner of Vršič mountain road from Kranjska Gora. After trying some delicious local cuisine, ask for Tonka´s special desert.
- On the way back down to Kranjska Gora, stop at corner 17 and count the stone dwarfs. There is also a stunning view from here of Mount Škrlatica.
- Below Tonka´s hut, there are some info tables on the side of the road. Stop by and look through one of natural windows in Mount Prisank.
Getting to the The Path of The Pagan Girl Trailhead
From Kranjska Gora take the road south towards Vršič pass. After 12.0 km, park at the top of the pass.
The Path of The Pagan Girl Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
The Path of The Pagan Girl Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.