Vogel and Rodica
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Taking a hike near Vogel Ski resort is really a must see when hiking around Slovenia´s top natural sites. It offers numerous opportunities for activities, recreation, and experiences in the mountains. This hike to Mount Rodica in the ´Kingdom of Zlatorog´ is the cherry on top.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Vogel and Rodica
Start your trip by riding the cable car. From the top you’ll see the Vogel Ski Hotel, where you’ll want to point yourself in the direction of Merjasec hut. After approximately 100m, take the path on the ski slope in the direction of Vogel, Šija and Rodica.
You will pass the lower station of Orlove Glave chairlift and several wooden barracks. At the crossroad, turn slightly to the left and then follow the gravel transport road on the ski slope to the upper station of Orlove Glave (there is a wooden cross on a small hill above it).
From here, continue on the right side of the fork and the right side of Orlove Glave hut. Head in the direction of Vogel and Šija. The road climbs steeply for a few metres and then descends back down reaching the next intersection.
You’ll leave the transport road and go right at the intersection along the footpath. Further on you will cross the ski slope. Keep on the trail through the pines following the line of the chair lift.
After a pretty steep climb, you will reach the highest peak of the ski slopes, the upper station of Šija chair lift (Visoki Orlov rob). The path continues behind the station. It’ll pass a small ridge before climbing up to the crossroad under the Šija peak.
As you look to the left, you’ll see the grassy, pyramid-shaped peak of Mount Rodica. Follow the wooden signs, and go left. You’ll descend to the left across the slope.
As the path starts to climb again, you will reach a rocky section where some caution is needed.
Continue on the undulating, panoramic trail. Soon you will get under the summit ridge. You can choose either left or right path. They will both get you to the top. Reaching the summit there is a metal plate with names of surrounding peaks engraved on it. If the sky is clear, your view should reach the Adriatic Sea on one side and the majority of the Julian Alps on the other. Rodica is truly one of the most scenic peaks around.
Descend on one of the paths back to the route along the rocky ridge. Walk all the way to the saddle under the Šija peak. At the saddle you have two options: return on the same path you came in on, or - if you have time - you can proceed straight in the direction of Vogel Peak.
The path towards Vogel Peak is a very pleasant one; it crosses the slope of Šija to the west and soon starts descending slightly to the left. After a few minutes we get to a steeper, trickier descent.
You will almost reach the saddle under the Vogel peak before you have to turn back down to the right in the direction of Vogel Ski Hotel and Zadnji Vogel pasture. At the next few crossroads always choose the lower path, pointing you in the direction of a small grassy valley.
On the northern side of the valley, the path passes back into woods. After a few minutes, the path turns slightly to the right and you will get to the Zadnji Vogel pasture. Take a break here and ask for some home made cheese!
From the pasture choose the wide gravel road in the direction of the Ski Hotel. You are only half an hour walk away from the start. About halfway through the forest, a marked footpath leaves the road to the right at a moderate incline. You can take that path if you like (both paths take you to the hotel); we like that path better. Whatever path you choose you’ll make it back to the cable car, which will take you to your car.
Insider Hints for Vogel and Rodica
- You can buy tickets for the cable car at the ticket office window at the parking lot. Check the operating time and other information at the Vogel Ski website.
- If you want to shorten this hike or you feel tired on the return, you can take the Orlove Glave chair lift (when it’s running).
- If you are visiting the Vogel resort with young children or elderly, there is a short 1.4 km educational trail around the area. Check the informational board at the exit of the cable car station. There is also a children’s’ playground underneath.
- At the Orlove Glave hut, make a 5min detour to the wooden cross on top of the pine hill. It has a wishing bell on it. Try your luck.
- Check all the other activities to do in the area and do not forget to stop at one of the huts for some delicious cuisine.
Getting to the Vogel and Rodica Trailhead
You need to get to the bottom of the Žičnice Vogel Bohinj (Vogel cable car). From Bled drive 26.0 km towards Bohinj. Stay on the main road on the left side of the lake. Drive by the lakeshore for 4.0 km. Past the campsite on the right, turn left for Vogel. In about 300 m park at the lower station of Vogel cable car.
Vogel and Rodica Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Vogel and Rodica Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.