- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Artist Ridge hike boasts a huge payout for relatively little effort. This 1.9 km lollipop hike is an extremely popular summer photo destination. Everyone loves the views of Mount Shuksan, Mount Baker, and beyond.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Artist Ridge
Arrive early in the morning or late in the afternoon for the best chance at solitude, as this trail is extremely popular midday.
Begin walking south on the paved path at the southeast corner of Artist Point parking lot. The trailhead is signed here, with Mount Shuksan visible beyond. The first 50 m of the trail are paved, making it easily accessible to all. However, snow can linger late into summer so, you may find yourself traversing a mini-snowfield in August.
Where the pavement ends, at 0.2 km, an overlook area and bench await. From here the trail begins to climb over rock-steps towards Huntoon Point. Follow the path upwards, reaching a large reflective snow-melt tarn at 0.8 km. This is an excellent place to snag a photo of Mount Shuksan reflected in the water.
Beyond the 0.8 km point, several social trails sprawl out over Huntoon Point. Because the alpine meadows are fragile here, please stay on the gravel trail. Make a short loop before returning the way you came - watching for Mount Baker views to your left on the way back to Artist Point.
Insider Hints for Artist Ridge
- Alpenglow on Mount Shuksan makes Artist Ridge a stunning sunset spot.
- Combine Artist Ridge with nearby trails like Table Mountain and Picture Lake to make the most of your trip.
- Families may want to bring sleds and snow gear for the kids.
Getting to the Artist Ridge Trailhead
From Glacier, drive east on Mount Baker Highway to the end of the road at Artist Point parking area. A Northwest Forest Pass is required here.
Artist Ridge Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Artist Ridge Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.