- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This walk has stunning, mountainous views; the iconic summits of Tryfan and Glyderau will tower above you as you hike. Some scrambling is involved to begin with but, overall, it’s a relatively easy, and most definitely enjoyable, hike.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Llyn Ogwen
From Ogwen Cottage car park head down to the main road, turn left to walk along the pavement following the road over the bridge before turning right on to a small footpath that cuts through a small gap in the wall.
Follow the river away from the road heading towards the lake, the footpath is camouflaged in a scramble of boulders and can be tricky to navigate, keep ahead towards the lake and the path will soon become clear. From here the footpath is well marked and follows the shoreline. After a 1.0 km the path bears slightly left and up a slope towards a stile. After climbing the stile it again continues close to the shoreline. At the far end of the lake the footpath crosses a second stile and heads uphill towards a small footbridge.
After crossing the stream continue ahead to a further stile, turn immediately right onto a path dropping down to a small farm track. Turn left away from the farm buildings and follow the track down to the main road.
At the main road turn right and use the pavement to follow the shoreline back to Ogwen Cottage. At Ogwen Cottage there are good facilities, a small café and the Ranger base offers further information about the local area.
Insider Hints for Llyn Ogwen
- Some scrambling is required to navigate the north side of the lake so good footwear is essential.
- Get an overview of the route before setting out and it is an easy route without having to worry about navigation (but take a map just in case!).
- Plas Curig Hostel is just a few miles east and is a great place to stay for all the family (5* hostel).
- Maps and forecast available from the Ranger Base should you wish before you head out.
Getting to the Llyn Ogwen Trailhead
From Bangor travel on the A55 then turn onto the A5 towards Bethesda, continue on A5 to Ogwen Lake, upon arriving at the lake turn right into the car park at the Ogwen Cottage Ranger base, park costs £2.50 for 4 hours.
Llyn Ogwen Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Llyn Ogwen Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Foel Goch via Bwlch Tryfan Walk
- Y Garn and the Glyderau
- Bochlwyd Horseshoe
- Carnedd y Filiast Circular Walk
- Glyderau Circular Walk via Castell y Gwynt
- Tryfan via South Ridge
- Devil’s Kitchen to Llyn y Cwn
- Y Garn via Devil’s Kitchen
- Carnedd Dafydd and Llewelyn
- Tryfan North Ridge Scramble
- Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach
- Cwm Idwal Walk