Swanbourne Lake Walk
The Swanbourne Lake Walk is a family-friendly path that circles Swanbourne Lake. Take in the stunning views of Arundel Castle, which sits on the shoreline, where you can hire a boat and take the family out on the lake. Dogs are welcome in this area as well, and it is suitable for pushchairs.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Swanbourne Lake Walk
The Swanbourne Lake Walk is a beautiful family-friendly path that explores Arundel Castle and Swanbourne Lake. This is a pushchair-friendly path and is a great place to take your dog for the day. There are boats for hire, so you can get out on the lake and take in the views from a different perspective. A putting green is also offered as well as a children’s playground. Take a break at the Swanbourne cafe and get some ice-cold beverages to enjoy on a hot day.
The path begins at the Mill Road car park, which sits next to the Arundel museum. You can visit the museum if it is of interest and experience the exhibits which showcase the history of the port of Arundel. Continue along Mill Road to pass the Mill Road putting green and the cafe on the path.
You will see the children’s playground, continue walking, and you will come across a bridge on your left. You can either continue walking or cross the bridge or cross onto Mill Road and use the pedestrian bridge. You will see a footpath; walk along that, and this will lead you to Swanbourne Lake. This path takes you around the lake and boasts beautiful views of the Arundel Castle in the background.
Once you have finished walking the length of the lake and have taken in all of the spectacular views, you will come across the Swanbourne Lodge Cafe, stop here for a break or hire a boat to your left to sail across the lake. You will arrive at a gate that you will go through, which will take you back to Mill Road. You will see a sign for the Arundel Wetland Center, where you will turn right. Walk towards the Arundel Castle and cross over the road towards the castle gate before turning right to continue along the path. The castle and millstream will be on your left. Continue until you reach the car park and museum where you started.
Insider Hints for Swanbourne Lake Walk
- Hire a boat at Swanbourne Lake and take in beautiful views of the Arundel Castle.
- Tickets for the Arundel Castle must be purchased in advance.
- Opt to donate 10% when purchasing your castle ticket and enjoy a tax break along with a voucher to spend at the cafe or shop. This money goes towards preserving the castle.
- Although you cannot stay at the Arundel Castle, you can book a night at the Amberley Castle, which isn’t too far away, and experience a day-in-the-life of someone who used to live in a castle.
- Stop at The Parsons Table for a delicious home-cooked meal.
Getting to the Swanbourne Lake Walk Trailhead
To get to Swanbourne Lake walk from Arundel, head southeast on High Street toward Maltravers Street and turn right. Turn right onto New Cut and then left onto London Road, turn right to stay on London Road and then keep left to stay on London Road. In 0.3 km, you will arrive at Swanbourne Lake.
Swanbourne Lake Walk Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Swanbourne Lake Walk Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Amberley Wild Brooks Walk
- Arundel Castle and Wildfowl Reserve Circular Walk
- Arundel to South Stoke Walk
- Amberley to Steyning Walk
- Wephams Wood and Burpham Circular Walk
- Swanbourne Lake and Arundel Circular Walk
- South Stoke Circular Walk
- Bignor Hill Walk
- Arundel Castle Walk
- Arundel to Amberley Walk
- Amberley and the River Arun
- Arundel Castle and Pubs Walk