- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Imbachhorn hike is one of the best hikes near Zell am See. This hike is a challenging tour of mountain peaks in the high alpine. Hiking up to the Imbachhorn, you will enjoy stunning views over the town of Zell am See, Zeller Lake, and the Glockner group.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Imbachhorn Hike
We like to leave our car in Zell am See and get to the start on the 660 bus, this allows only one bus ride at the end of the day!
Start this wonderful hike at the parking area at the bottom of the Gletscherjet 1 ski lift. The trail entrance lies opposite the parking area, on the other side of the main road. It immediately starts with a steep ascent through pine and birch woods, climbing up the mountain via switchbacks.
You will pass the Harleiten alm, a mountain hut. This hut is not managed and only on occasion people are there. The trail continues through alpine meadows, over the Hartleiten and the Brandlscharte (2,371 m).
When you come to a cross roads there is the choice to go right towards Rettenzink, or left towards the peak of the Imbachhorn mountain. Why not do them both? The views are worth it.
Start by hiking up the trail on the left and after a 100 m ascent you will reach your goal. After enjoying the views from the peak, take the same route down, back to the crossing.
Now take the right trail, heading towards Rettenzink, and start the descent of the tour. The trail first follows the slope alongside the Rettenzink (2,510 m). After that, switchbacks will bring you down towards Gleiwitzer Hutte, a fine mountain hut at 2,174 m. The hut is a good place to have a break from all the hiking. Enjoy some traditional Austrian food and fill up your energy levels.
After the break, choose trail Number 725 and continue your adventure. There are lots of switchbacks and turns, will bring you lower and lower into the valley. Passing the Hirzbach stream and the Hirzbach alm (another un-managed mountain hut) back into the forest. After about 1.0 km you arrive in the village center of the mountain town of Fusch an der Grossglockner.
Here you can take the bus back to Zell am See and Kaprun and enjoy the memories you have made on a wonderful hike today.
Insider Hints for Imbachhorn Hike
- You are at high altitude, so UV can be really strong. Use a good sun blocker, ideally SPF 50.
- If you are staying in an accommodation in Kaprun, ask if they have the Zell am See-Kaprun Summer card. With that the normal bus from Zell am see / Kaprun to the starting point is for free!
- Turn this hike into a 2-day tour by staying at the Gleiwitzer hut overnight. This is a magical place to catch sunset or sunrise!
- The town of Fusch an der Grossglocknerstrasse is also the entrance to the Grossglockner high alpine road. This road is a must visit if you are in Austria.
- Click the link to find out more about hiking the Austrian Alps.
Getting to the Imbachhorn Hike Trailhead
Travel to Kaprun, pass the town and continue just over 7.0 km to the bottom of the Glacier Cable Cars. The trail starts opposite the parking area of the Gletscherjet 1 lift. From the end-point in the village of Fusch, you can take the bus back to Zell am See and from there change over to the 660 bus towards Kaprun and the Gletsjer lifts.
Imbachhorn Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Imbachhorn Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Zittauer Hütte Hike
- Plauener Hütte Hike
- Alexander-Enzinger Trail
- Maiskogel Forest Route Hike
- Glacier Lake & Geisstein Hike
- Schwalbenwand & Schönwieskopf Hike
- Glocknerblick via Jetzbachsteig Hike
- Pinzgau Hut Loop Hike
- Schmittenhohe – Mauerkogel Hike
- Klammsee & Schneckenreith Hike
- Zeller Lake Loop Hike
- Kapruner Loop Hike