Maiskogel Forest Route Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Maiskogel Forest Route hike takes you up the local mountain of Kaprun. This is a lovely hiking adventure through forests, up to the Maiskogel mountain farm, for some nice food. A kids play area and small Zoo at the farm make the family experience complete!
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Maiskogel Forest Route Hike
The starting point is situated across the street at the Kaprun city center bus stop, next to the Elementary School (Volksschule Kaprun). Walk along the road, Schauelberstabe, beside the local school and start the first part of the ascent. The road will take you past Austrian farms and cozy holiday houses. Keep left at the T-junction onto Ortlehenweg and continue until the Vorderweiβstein farm. A traditional Austrian mountain farm which is perfect to take some pictures.
Here the route goes right, onto a tree covered trail. The trail leads through the woods and then onto a smooth green mountain meadow. To stay on the trail, take a left at the next T-junction, then go to the right (off the main road) as you pass the farm house on your right.
The trail continues into a stone gully towards the bottom station of the Alm ski lift. On your sides you will see the mountain pastures and the well-maintained ski slopes of the Maiskogel ski area. Pass the ski lift station on the right.
Continue on the Güterweg for 200 m and then turn left. After another 150 m turn right onto a narrow, but not steep, trail. The trail now continues into the forest. As you enter the forest turn right to continue along the trail instead of the road. A mixture of pine trees and low vegetation make this a real adventure area for children.
The trail climbs up the mountain in a range of narrow turns, to finish at the Maiskogel Alm. Or ‘Heli’s hut’ as the locals call it! Enjoy fresh drinks and good food, while the kids learn about farm animals and get rid of some more energy.
To return to Kaprun, you follow the same trail back towards the city center.
Insider Hints for Maiskogel Forest Route Hike
- If you or your family are too tired to walk all the way down again, take the hiking taxi down to the bottom of the Maiskogel mountain (for free with the Zell am See-Kaprun Summer card, last run 16:30).
- Heli’s hut is a great place to spend some time with your family. Try the ‘Backhendl’ salate (baked chicken in a crispy crust) for a healthy and tasty lunch!
- Parking at the Lechnerberg parking area is for free and very close to the starting point.
- This hike is dog friendly, but be aware of the cows which are walking free along the route. Keep enough distance and especially avoid the cows with calves.
- You can combine this with the Glocknerblick hike if you want to make a circuit.
- There is a new gondola going up to Maiskogel, and a connection in winter of 2019 to the skiing at Kitzsteinhorn.
Getting to the Maiskogel Forest Route Hike Trailhead
Travel to Kaprun and park your car in the city center, near the elementary and middle school. If you travel by bus from Mittersill or Zell am See, get off in the village center and walk to the starting point of the hike in 1 minute.
Maiskogel Forest Route Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Maiskogel Forest Route Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.