Road Biking Routes in Calgary
Calgary Road Biking
There are few better ways to experience the natural beauty of Calgary than by two wheels. Calgary road biking is a great way to kick your adventure into high gear and explore the city on one of the countless trails that wind through some of its many highlights, stunning parks and nature reserves. With over 900 kilometres of pathways and 400 kilometres of on-street bicycling routes, there is no shortage of choice for biking paths. Whether you are a beginner or a road warrior, Calgary road biking is an amazing adventure.
Calgary has varying landscapes changing in grade and natural setting. For an epic challenge, set out on the rolling hills in the Priddis area, for a climbing altitude that will test even the best biker’s conditioning program. For a pretty setting, peddle the Glenmore Reservoir where you’ll glide along the waterfront, with mountains jutting off in the distance. In local favourite park, Fish Creek, you can put the peddle to the meddle and cycle from one end to the other—enjoying lush, shaded forests and perhaps an ice cream treat at Annie’s for a post-cycle reward.
Summer may be the best time to get out and enjoy prime Calgary weather and luckily, beautiful biking trails are abundant, meaning you’ll hardly ever run into crowds. But that doesn’t mean that spring and fall aren’t equally wonderful times to experience Calgary road biking! Take in the changing colours of fall by bike and listen to the satisfying crunch beneath your wheels or set out in the spring to witness the wildflower fields in full bloom.
Still not sure where to start when planning your Calgary biking routes? We’ve got you covered with our local insight below, covering the best route guide for cycling in the beautiful city of Calgary.
The 10 Greatest Biking Routes in Calgary
With boundless options for easy trails and scenic rides, Calgary is one of the best spots in Canada for breaking in your bike. For family-friendly rides, gentle pathways in Fish Creek will make for a fun day out, even with little ones. If you’re seeking something more adventurous, our Tour de Calgary South route takes in some of the prettiest spots in the city and passes by some lauded Calgary restaurants if you need a rest. For the ultimate challenge, set out on the Southern Foothills Road to Nepal route, which certainly lives up to its name.
- Biking the Bow River Pathway to Bowness: Discover the most scenic trail in Calgary on the Bow River Pathway to Bowness bike ride. Pass through some of the city’s most iconic spots, alongside peaceful nature trails.
- Biking the Tour de South Calgary: On the Tour de South Calgary bike route, take in the entirety of the city from two-wheels, including: Fish Creek Park, Downtown Calgary and the Bow River.
- Biking Fish Creek East to West: For a relaxing parkland ride, set out on the Fish Creek East to West biking trail. Pass over bubbling brooks, lush forests and even stop for an ice cream at Annie’s.
- Biking the Southern Foothills Road to Nepal: For an endurance and strength test, set out on the Southern Foothills Road to Nepal biking route, which mimics the rolling hills found in the mountains of Nepal.
- Biking Downtown & Nose Hill Park: On the Downtown & Nose Hill biking trail, take in the stunning mansions of Nose Hill and stunning views of the city from Crescent Road ridge.
- Biking the Bow River Pathway in Fish Creek Park: Test your endurance on the Bow River Pathway to Fish Creek Park biking trail as you race up a challenging coulee.
- Biking Bow River from Inglewood to Edworthy: Get to the heart of downtown Calgary on the Bow River from Inglewood to Edworthy biking route, passing coffee shops, quaint parks and bustling city streets.
- Biking the Glenmore Reservoir: Explore Calgary’s backroads on the Glenmore Reservoir biking route. Grab the family and set out peddling past rivers, valleys and bumpy bridges.
- Biking the North Calgary Loop: On the North Calgary biking path, take in the sights of the city. Peddle past the Calgary Zoo, Bowmont Park and Shouldice Park for a nature break in the middle of Calgary.
- Biking Out to Chestermere: On the Out to Chestermere biking route, peddle through quiet neighborhoods to reach a beautiful lake where you can stop for a refreshing dip.
Other Outdoor Activities in Calgary
Few places in the world offer as many outdoor adventures as Calgary. You’ll be spoilt for choice, especially when it comes to the epic hiking trails in the area. From craggy hills, blooming meadows, verdant river valleys and alpine forests—the landscape is ever-changing and full of options. Guaranteed, our Calgary hiking route guides will leave you raving about the heart of Canada’s West Coast.
How to Plan A Trip To Calgary
If you’re thinking of making Calgary your next biking adventure, we’ve got the inside track on the area. We’ve put together a comprehensive guide to planning a trip to Calgary, with local’s recommendations on where to stay, where to eat, the best activities and of course, the best road biking trails. We’ve taken all the guess work out, now all you have to do is pack your bag!
Frequently-Asked-Questions About Biking in Calgary
Is Calgary bike friendly?
Up until recently, the downtown core of Calgary was not overly bike-friendly, but in the face of Covid-19, the city got an overhaul and is now much more accessible for biking. There have always been plenty of park and nature biking trails though and they remain very accessible.
Are bike helmets mandatory in Calgary?
Bicycle helmets must be worn by all bicycle riders and passengers under the age of 18. Legal adults have the choice of whether they’d like to wear a helmet or not, but we highly recommend it, especially for road biking.
Can you ride a bike on the sidewalk in Calgary?
In Calgary, it's illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk, that is unless it's a designated biking pathway or you are under 14 years old.
Road Bike Tours near Calgary
Calgary is a great destination for road biking, but there are also great tours nearby. Check out these Alberta Bike Tours and other types of Adventure Tours in Alberta!
Download the 10Adventures Trail App
To find and experience the best road biking and hiking routes in Calgary, download the 10Adventures trail app.
View Road Biking Routes in Calgary on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Best Road Biking Routes in Calgary
Bow River Pathway to Bowness
Riding the Bow River Pathway is an incredibly scenic ride in Calgary. Set out on the Bow River Pathway in Sue Higgins Park and ride the entire Bow River to Bowness. Pass through Calgary’s downtown core, countless parks and along the Bow River for pretty views and explore the city’s eclectic group of neighbourhoods.
Tour de South Calgary
If you wish to experience the true highlights of Calgary from two-wheels, try the Tour de South Calgary biking route. Passing through the downtown core, Fish Creek Park, the Glenmore Reservoir and the famed Bow River—this ride is not to be missed.
- Technical Difficulty
- Physical Difficulty
Fish Creek East to West
For a relaxing parkland ride, set out on the Fish Creek East to West biking trail. Pass over bubbling brooks, lush forests and even stop for an ice cream at Annie’s.
Southern Foothills Road to Nepal
The Southern Foothills Road to Nepal biking trail is aptly named for its countless rolling hills that can be killer to the calves. Challenge yourself as you ride over 70.0 km of grueling, but rewarding roads in Calgary, Alberta.
Downtown & Nose Hill Park
Kick off the Downtown & Nose Hill biking trail riding through the Calgary Zoo, peddling past pretty parks and exploring the surrounding mansions in the popular Nose Hill neighbourhood.
Bow River Pathway in Fish Creek Park
Set out on a memorable adventure on the Bow River Pathway to Fish Creek Park bike trial. Challenge your strength on an uphill coulee, then glide past Lafarge Meadows and relax to the sound of the bubbling Bow River.
- Technical Difficulty
- Physical Difficulty
Bow River from Inglewood to Edworthy
Take in the highlights of Downtown Calgary on the Bow River from Inglewood to Edworthy biking path. Stop for plenty of coffee breaks and to snap mesmerizing photos of the bustling city.
Set out for this fun ride on the Glenmore Reservoir biking route, passing valleys, parks and gliding over bridges. This ride is perfect for family with older children looking for an adventurous afternoon out in nature.
- Technical Difficulty
- Physical Difficulty
North Calgary Loop
Experience some of the highlights of Calgary on the North Calgary Loop biking trail. Pass by the Calgary Zoo, West Nose Creek Park, and through Downtown Calgary for some exceptional city views.
Western Headworks Canal to Chestermere
Discover a pretty biking trail surrounding Chestermere Lake in Calgary, Alberta. This path weaves in and out of quiet streets and peaceful neighbourhoods for a relaxing ride.
Change happens, fees shouldn't
Other Activities in Calgary
Essential Tools for Any Adventure
This page may include affiliate links. We may get a small commission for the purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
We only recommend tools we personally think are great.