- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
One of the many great Rifugios to hike to, the Garelli Rifugio is the only Rifugio in Valle Pesio. From its windows you can enjoy the view of Punta Marguareis, a limestone mountain in the center of the Ligurian Alps. In the mountain water and time have carved some crevasses that are 700 m deep. From the Garelli Rifugio, you can get to France, or to the Vermenagna and Ellero valleys.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Rifugio Garelli
From the parking at Rifugio Pian delle Gorre you’ll walk past the Rifugio. From the open grassy area, you’ll find the trail to the left of the Rifugio. The path goes through one of the oldest forests in the area, and it’s a pleasure to walk between these giants any season.
After 30-45 minutes you’ll reach the Gias Sottano di Sestrera (1,341 m). “Gias” means shelter for animals, but it’s obvious this structure no longer serves that purpose.
The trail continues in the woods and shrubbery to get to the Gias Soprano di Sestrera (1,847 m). The Rifugio Garelli, at 1,966 m high, is visible from the Gias and you can reach it after 20-30 minutes of walking.
The views from the Rifugio are amazing. The limestone cliffs of Monte Marguareis dominate the scenery. In July, all along the green mountain prairies, you’ll see purple rhododendron.
The route back is just you came or, if you prefer, you can take the path that goes into the Vallone del Marguareis.
Insider Hints for Rifugio Garelli
- From the Rifugio you can walk to the Porta Sestrera and the Rifugio Mondovì in Valle Ellero.
- Alpinists can climb to the peak, through the Canalino dei Genovesi.
- The forest of big firs you walked through was managed by the Carthusians starting in 1173. Later the Consolata Fathers Order bought the land and the forest, and, now finally, the Valle Pesio Natural Park manages them.
- The Rifugio was built in 1950, but burned in 1987. In 1991 it was fully restored.
- Check out the Marguareis Natural Park’s website for more details.
Getting to the Rifugio Garelli Trailhead
Make your way to Chiusa Pesio then go straight through it. After 10.0 km you’ll arrive at the Certosa di Pesio. You’ll pass the bridge on the left and you go straight for 4.0 km more, until Rifugio Pian delle Gorre (1,032 m).
Rifugio Garelli Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Rifugio Garelli Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.