Bourgeau Lake / Harvey Lake / Harvey Pass
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This hike to Bourgeau Lake and Harvey Pass is a sure-fire way to induce happiness. Though the numbers make this trail seem big, the feeling of being on a true adventure makes the day go easily and quickly. Definitely one of the best hikes near Banff!
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Bourgeau Lake / Harvey Lake / Harvey Pass
Start in the Bourgeau Lake parking lot and take the only path out of the parking lot, outwards into the forest. You will quickly replace the buzz of the Trans-Canada Highway with the songs of birds chattering and the delightful addition of a fresh forest smell. Spend about 7.5 km in the forest trekking up to Bourgeau Lake. During this time, you will be near Wolverine Creek, with occasional crossings. Enjoy the tranquility as you gain 0.7 km of elevation.
While for many people Bourgeau Lake is a trip in itself, the real magic is the journey up to Harvey Lake and Harvey Pass. After enjoying a break at the head of the lake, pass to the right of the water and follow the rougher path upwards, enjoying the wonderful views down upon the lake and the enormous cliff face of Mount Bourgeau.
As you rise, keep your eyes open for marmots, one particular stretch along here we often refer to as “Marmot Town”, having seen so many on previous trips.
Quickly, after 2.0 km you reach Harvey Lake. Don’t stop here - although it’s lovely. Continue on the left of the lake and make it to the pass, another 0.5 km. We recommend coming over the pass to get out of the wind. From here you have views to Mount Assiniboine as well as down over Healy Creek to Sunshine Meadows. For those who are adventurous, you can continue up to the top of Mount Bourgeau, roughly 2.7 km and 400 m higher.
Insider Hints for Bourgeau Lake / Harvey Lake / Harvey Pass
- Keep your eyes open for marmot and ptarmigan between Bourgeau and Harvey Lakes.
- If you’ve got the energy, you can scramble to the top of Mount Bourgeau.
- There is faint cellphone signal at Harvey Pass, in case you wish to share the beauty on Instagram or Facebook.
Getting to the Bourgeau Lake / Harvey Lake / Harvey Pass Trailhead
The Bourgeau parking lot is on south side of the Trans-Canada Highway, roughly 13.0 km west of Banff. There is a turnaround on the Trans-Canada for those who are heading to the route from Banff.
Bourgeau Lake / Harvey Lake / Harvey Pass Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Bourgeau Lake / Harvey Lake / Harvey Pass Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.