Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The hike from Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain takes you to two of Boulder’s finest overlooks: Realization Point and Artist Point. This is a relatively easy hike, however it provides stunning views of the surrounding ranges and the continental divide!
View Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain
Begin the hike from the Gregory Canyon Trailhead. Hike along Gregory Canyon Trail, soon coming to an intersection. Go left and stay on Gregory Canyon trail (the right path is Crown Rock Trail, you will return on this trail). The hike up Gregory Canyon will have you slowly gaining elevation as you climb your way up the canyon.
Towards the top of Gregory Canyon, you will run into a trail junction. Go right on a gravel road which crosses over Flagstaff Road. Cross over Flagstaff Road to reach Realization Point. Realization Point is an overlook with impressive views of the snow-capped Indian Peaks.
From Realization Point hike towards Artist Point on either the Ute Trail or Range View Trail. Artist Point is another amazing overlook with great views. Our map shows the route on Ute trail, which is a bit more direct, however both trails offer a wonderful hike.
Follow the Ute trail until you reach a toilet and small car park with space for a couple of cars, which is the start of the Sensory Nature Trail. From the washroom there is a small trail to the left of the road which goes the short distance to Artist Point. The Artist Point viewpoint has wonderful views to the north-west of Indian Peaks Wilderness. Be warned, it can get busy here!
From Artist Point go back to the toilet building and then follow Flagstaff Summit Road for a short while. Follow Flagstaff Summit Road as it passes a cool rock and log building (known as Stone Shelter) before coming to a stop sign. Go right at the stop sign and walk until you are able to pick up Flagstaff Trail which goes off on your left, just before the road curves left.
Follow the Flagstaff Trail downhill as it crosses over the twisty Flagstaff Road multiple times.
Eventually the trail will cross Flagstaff Road at a small parking lot, which is the Crown Rock Trailhead. Here the trail will turn into Crown Rock trail and you continue hiking down Crown Rock Trail. This trail passes through Boulder Mountain Park, which is a collection of red rock formations and will descend all the way down, back into Gregory Canyon.
When you come back to the junction with Gregory Canyon Trail go left and continue downhill back to the Gregory Canyon Trailhead.
Find more amazing hikes around Boulder:
Insider Hints for Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain
- Pay to Park at the trailhead unless your vehicle is registered in Boulder County.
- Flagstaff Mountain is always ‘busy’ with hikers on the trails, climbers’ bouldering on the rocks, vehicles driving up and down Flagstaff Rd. and road bikers pedaling up the steep incline. Not to mention there is a restaurant The Flagstaff House that gets busy. Needless to say, avoid this area during peak times if you want to feel outdoorsy!
Getting to the Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain Trailhead
Take Baseline Rd. towards Flagstaff Mountain. Turning left onto Gregory Canyon Road which dead ends into the parking lot.
Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Gregory Canyon to Flagstaff Mountain Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Crown Rock Trail
- Chautauqua Trail via 6th Street Connector
- Bluebell Baird to 3rd Flatiron Loop Trail
- Gregory Canyon and Amphitheatre Loop Trail
- Gregory Canyon and E.M Greenman Loop Trail
- Amphitheater Hike
- Boulder Star Hike
- Bluebell Mesa Trail
- Green Mountain via Gregory Canyon Hike
- Three Peaks Loop Trail
- First and Second Flatirons Loop
- Green Mountain