- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This hike combines a relaxed trail around Maligne Lake with a hike up to Moose Lake. It’s incredibly scenic and family-friendly, providing both a look at a quintessential Jasper site as well as a lesser-explored extension away from the crowds.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Maligne Lakeshore
This is what we think is the best hiking route at Maligne Lake, combining a visit to Maligne Lake and nearby Moose Lake.
Maligne Lake can get quite busy in the summer, so it’s best to arrive early if possible. Come prepared for the weather as it tends to be highly changeable around Jasper.
Maligne Lake is wonderfully scenic, and this hike is a perfect, low-impact way to enjoy the area. The trailhead can be reached by following the trail to the left of the lodge and then heading left on the Mary Schaffer loop. Follow this until it starts to head away from the lake, and then double back. The remaining part of the loop is ok, but often muddy and lacking in the outstanding views of the lakeshore trail.
You’ll return the way you came, continuing past the lodge and then connecting with the road as you cross a bridge over outflow of Maligne Lake.
On the other side of the bridge take the path left along Maligne Lake and follow it until the path goes off to the right, towards Moose Lake, on the Great Divide Trail.
The hike up to Moose Lake is easy to follow and not steep, and the views of Moose Lake are pretty.
While you can continue past Moose Lake and make a loop, we often return the way we came.
The hike back to Maligne Lakeshore is short and easy, with great views of Leah Peak and Opal Peak beyond Maligne Lake.
Insider Hints for Maligne Lakeshore
- The Great Divide Trail continues well past Moose Lake, so you can add on some distance if you’re keen to keep exploring
- The Waffle Hut near Maligne Lake Lodge is a fun spot for a snack after your hike, or you can stop in at The View for a more filling meal
- A boat cruise around the lake is a great way to spend the rest of the day after hiking
Getting to the Maligne Lakeshore Trailhead
From the Jasper townsite, head east on Highway 16 for 1.8 km. Then, turn right onto Maligne Lake Road. continue for 44.0 km until you reach Maligne Lake.
Maligne Lakeshore Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Maligne Lakeshore Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.