hikes in Las Vegas
Have you thought about hiking near Las Vegas? You should, as there is some great hiking here. Despite being just 24.1km from the bright lights of the Vegas strip, the areas of Red Rock Canyon and Mt. Charleston are a stark contrast and a great place for hikers. You can expect stunning hiking and unparalleled raw desert beauty and peaks reaching up to 3658m.
The best hikes near Las Vegas take you through deserts and up wooded peaks. Expect a huge contrast from The Strip on these wonderful hikes. Even better, a lot of the best hikes near Las Vegas are great for kids as well. Check out our list of the best hikes near Las Vegas below.
THE TOP 10 HIKES NEAR LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
- Fletcher Peak (11.3km, 688m, 2.5-3h): Fletcher Peak is not only one of the easiest mountains to climb near Las Vegas, but also the sixth highest point in the state, boasting fantastic views of the Spring Mountains. This is the best hike near Las Vegas, and this half-day hike is nothing short of fantastic!
- La Madre Springs (6.6km, 246m, 1.25-1.75h): This moderate hike in Red Rock Canyon leads up a very well-graded trail to a quaint river with a gurgling spring. The views of the steep sided mountains and sandstone cliffs along the trail are truly awe-inspiring.
- Trail Canyon (7.7km, 623m, 3-3.5h): Climbing up to a ridge with fantastic views of the Spring Mountain and Mt. Charleston, this hike is a true gem. The well-graded trail makes the elevation gain feel easier, and the absolutely stunning alpine views from the top are definitely worth the effort.
- Moenkopi Trail (3.4km, 54m, 0.5-1h): Wake up early and leave Las Vegas for this great early-morning hike. Best appreciated in the early morning, this gorgeous loop hike ventures out from the Red Rock Canyon Visitor Centre, gaining a ridge and yielding stunning panoramic views of almost the entire park. Bring you camera, folks!
- Calico Hills Loop (2.1km, 38m, 0.5-1h): The red rock of Calico Hills is the centrepiece of most peoples’ visit to Red Rock Canyon. A small modicum of effort takes hikers along a short loop granting a more intimate look at the steep and textured red cliffs. If you're looking to get out of Las Vegas for a half-day, this is a great hike to bring your kids.
- Cathedral Rock (4.7km, 263m, 1-1.5h): This stunning, popular hike in the Spring Mountains leads up a handful of switchbacks to a rocky promontory, granting sunning panoramic views of the park. The wide, well graded trail is easy to follow.
- White Rock Trail (4.2km, 212m, 1-1.5h): Stunning panoramic views of the La Madre Mountains are the reward for this seldom-travelled trail. As you ascend along a very level path above the plane of Red Rock Canyon to the base of the mountains, the whole park will fall open before your eyes.
- Calico Tanks (3.7km, 105m, 1-1.5h): Calico Tanks is a classic hike near Las Vegas, leaving from the scenic Sandstone Quarry. Though hard to follow at times, this trail leads through a narrow canyon to a picturesque water tank. If you leave early you will have this stunning secluded spring all to yourself, allowing you to bask in its gorgeous natural presence in peace.
- Mary Jane Falls (5.2km, 278m, 1.25-1.75h): This popular hike near Las Vegas leads slowly up to a small waterfall in the heart of the Mt. Charleston Valley. From this vantage point you will have fantastic views up the face of Charleston Peak, all from the secluded amphitheater that has formed around the falls.
- Icebox Canyon (4.0km, 112m, 1.5-2h): This extremely popular hike near Las Vegas ascends a steep-sided canyon carved into a slot between two incredibly steep mountains. After crossing part of the desert, you will hike up a very rocky creek basin to access the microclimates of Icebox Canyon.
The best hikes in Las Vegas
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.