- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Kirby Cove trail is highly traveled by tourists and for good reason. This hike has some of the best views in the Bay Area, with outstanding views of the Golden Gate Bridge. The Kirby Cove Trail also has a rocky shore beach at the halfway point that is excellent for picnics.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Kirby Cove
From the parking lot at the Golden Gate Bridge Vista Point, you immediately get rewarded with some of the best views of the Golden Gate Bridge in the Bay Area, so soak it in and snap some photos. Then head to the right toward the white gates on Kirby Cove Road and start the trek down the hill. This trail is a dirt road and acts as an access road for rangers.
Continue on this road until you hit the beach. Along the route down to Kirby Cove, you will pass Kirby Cove Campground, an absolutely exceptionally situated campground, that unfortunately needs to be booked up to a year in advance for a spot.
While descending, keep right at any path splits. Once you see the beach you can walk across the rocky shore. Here you’ll find Battery Kirby, a defensive maritime artillery battery to defend San Francisco Bay. Construction began in 1898 and the Battery was in service until 1934, when it became obsolete.
The Kirby Cove Beach is a great place for a break, and we love the views back to San Francisco and the Golden Gate bridge from Kirby Cove.
Once you are ready to head back, start by returning the way you came.
On the way back up the hill, on the right side, you will see a small side trail that takes you to Battery Wagner. This historic battery was operational from 1895 to 1920. While it is a short detour off the trail to see the 19th century cement structure, we think the views from here are worth it.
Get back on the Kirby Cove Road and continue the journey back to your car.
While not shown on our map, you can also continue from the parking lot on the trail that leads out to Ridge Battery and Battery Spencer. This trail offers fine views, but is much more crowded.
Insider Hints for Kirby Cove
- There is extremely limited parking at this location, so plan to go early on a week day if possible.
- There will be a lot of people on the trail mid day, so plan to avoid mid day hiking here if possible and avoid the crowds.
Getting to the Kirby Cove Trailhead
Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and take exit 442 onto Alexander Ave. Immediately turn left and cross under the highway and follow Alexander Highway for a couple of minutes. Turn right onto Conzelman Road and follow it to the Golden Gate Bridge Vista Point which is on your left.
Kirby Cove Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Kirby Cove Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Lobos Creek Valley Path Hike
- Fort Point to Baker Beach Hike
- Anza Trail to Immigrant Point Overlook
- Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito Hike
- Presidio Ecology Trail
- Presidio Promenade Trail
- Ecology Trail and Lovers’ Lane Loop
- Bay Area Ridge Trail: The Golden Gate Bridge
- Golden Gate Bridge via Baker Beach Trail
- Batteries to Bluffs Trail
- Golden Gate and Pacific Overlook Hike
- Point Bonita Lighthouse Trail