hikes in French Pyrenees
Hiking in the Pyrenees is spectacular! The French Pyrenees are truly an underappreciated hiker’s paradise. Straddling the border of Spain and France, the hiking trails are a bit less crowded in the Pyrenees. Add in charming villages, incredible history and great food there’s no doubt you’ll get why a hiking trip to the French Pyrenees is a fantastic idea.
The best hikes list for the Pyrenees has everything an adventurer is looking for. There are family strolls around beautiful lakes, tough ascents up mighty peaks with 360° vistas and, of course, natural gems like the UNESCO-listed Cirque de Gavarnie. Do you need more reasons to check out this list? How about the Lac d’Oô? Or would you be interested in the remoteness of the Pique Rouge de Bassiès in Ariège? Our selection of walks will take you across the whole French side of the Pyrenees, offering you a full choice of hikes for various levels.
- Cagire Loop (11.0km, 892m, 4-6h): The Cagire Loop is a ridge walk with views over the highest peaks of the French Pyrenees. There are plenty of great hikes up the lower summits to the north of the massif, and – although this route can be challenging – this is definitely one of the best!
- Cirque de Gavarnie (8.5km, 210m, 2-3h): The Cirque de Gavarnie is the most popular hike in the French Pyrenees, so the place is often crowded. But you simply cannot come to the Pyrenees without visiting the Cirque de Gavarnie. It’s arguably one of the most beautiful sites in France and part of the UNESCO Global Heritage. Plus, we found a “secret” viewpoint!
- Lac d’Oô (6.6km, 430m, 1.5-2.5h): Hiking to the beautiful Lac d’Oô should be on your list of great hikes in the Pyrenees. The Lac d’Oô walk is the second most visited hike in the Pyrenees, but beware, you may fall in love with this place.
- Lac de Gaube (8.4km, 316m, 2-3h): The hike to Lac de Gaube is a wonderful trail in the French Pyrenees. Getting to Lac de Gaube will take you around some beautiful waterfalls, followed by a relatively short walk up a valley to reach one of the most stunning lakes of the Pyrenees.
- Lac de Loudenvielle (5.1km, 50m, 1-2h): The Lac de Loudenvielle hike is a lovely, family-friendly hike around a beautiful lake. This is a very popular hike, and it will look more like a stroll in your local park than a real hike, but the scenery is amazing!
- Lacs et Pic d’Ayous (20.2km, 1113m, 7-9h): The hike to Pics d’Ayous is one of the top hikes in the Pyrenees. This long loop will take you through some amazing scenery, and pass by plenty of lakes, with the recognisable shape of the Pic du Midi d’Ossau (2884m) dominating the landscape. And adding the Pic d’Ayous to the Tour des Lacs d’Ayous will enable you to enjoy a breathtaking, 360° vista!
- Mont Né (7.4km, 403m, 2-3h): Hiking to the summit of Mont Ne in the French Pyrenees is an easy enough hike that is often people’s first peak! This good path will take you up the steep slopes of Mont Né at 2147m to enjoy some mighty views over the rest of the massif.
- Oredon – Aubert – Aumar (9.0km, 363m, 2.5-4h): Starting from the Lac d’Orédon, the Oredon-Aubert-Aumar hike will take you through the wild, magical landscapes of the Néouvielle, to discover a series of beautiful French lakes surrounded by dramatic ridges.
- Pic du Canigou (24.8km, 1816m, 9-11h): Hiking to the Pic du Canigou is a challenging hike to a very prominent Pic (2784m). This high Pyrenees summit can be seen from the city of Marseilles on a clear day.
- Pique Rouge de Bassiès (16.3km, 1380m, 8-9h): The long hike to Pique Rouge de Bassiès takes you to one of the more remote peaks in the French Pyrenees. Stunning views can be enjoyed all along this ridge walk, which will take you to a beautiful summit. There is a fair amount of climbing, but it’s relatively easy-going and most of all, amazingly rewarding!
The best hikes in French Pyrenees
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.