Rhaeadr Ddu and Coed Ganllwyd
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
This is a spectacular riverside walk in Snowdonia that follows the River Gamlan from Ganllwyd up to the wild Rhaeadr Ddu falls. The route will wind its way through the peaceful woodland before bringing you back to your starting point in the village.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Rhaeadr Ddu and Coed Ganllwyd
From the car park, cross the main road and turn left to follow the road towards the black corrugated iron village hall. Immediately after the village hall turn right following the sign for Rhaeadr Ddu. The track leads you uphill alongside the roaring waters of the River Gamlan. After heavy rain the river is particularly impressive- some compensation for a wet weekend in Wales!
As the track bends sharply to the right, 400 m up the hill, follow the waymarked footpath heading off into the woods towards the river and a small wooden footbridge. Cross the bridge and turn right to continue upstream. Shortly you will reach the spectacular Rhaeadr Ddu. Welsh for Black Falls these two beautiful waterfalls cascade just over 18 m.
After enjoying the falls continue upstream following the well-marked route which soon takes you away from the river and further into the woodland. After approximately 0.5 km you will pass through a kissing gate, turn left at the ‘T’ junction, signposted ‘P’ for parking. This track leads you gently downhill following a boundary wall.
Continue ahead as the track takes you gently downhill, at the crossroads continue straight ahead through a gate. Follow the path through two more gates before emerging back on to the main road. Turn left, past the village hall and back to the car park.
Insider Hints for Rhaeadr Ddu and Coed Ganllwyd
- Good footwear is essential as footpaths are slippery in places.
- Watch for the rock inscribed in Latin by the poet Thomas Grey alongside the footpath leading to the bridge crossing the River Gamlan.
- The waterfalls are particularly impressive after heavy rainfall.
Getting to the Rhaeadr Ddu and Coed Ganllwyd Trailhead
Follow the A470 to Ganllwyd, free car parking is available in the centre of the village opposite the village hall. Postcode: LL40 2TF.
Rhaeadr Ddu and Coed Ganllwyd Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Rhaeadr Ddu and Coed Ganllwyd Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.