Lago di Carezza
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Lago di Carezza hike (also known as Karersee) should be on everybody’s bucket list for the Dolomites. The beautiful colours of the lake, the forest, and the mountains that surround it, make the walk feel utterly magical.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Lago di Carezza
Once you've parked, you are going to find a clearing or open space, on your left. Usually there's a fence, but don't be bothered by it: bypass the fence and walk along the path. You will see a wooden sign indicating the path for Carezza Lake. Start the trail there.
The steep part of the hike is just at the start. After the initial climb, the path evens out. As you walk through the forest you’ll be able to hear a river running beside you. At some point you can find a little trail that’ll go near the river if you want to see it up close.
After 2.5 km you will see a little tunnel that passes under the highway: go through it. Take the stairs to your right, and then go left right away.
After a few meters you’ll reach the edge of the water: Carezza Lake. With its magnificent blues and greens, it’s a sight to behold. It’s surrounded by spruce trees and dominated by the great Latemar Dolomite Mountains, which reflects in the crystalline water.
Take your time and appreciate the colours of the lake before continuing the path around the lake. At some point, you'll be able to see the Catinaccio massif, another famous and stunning group of Dolomite Mountains. Follow the path until you arrive at the tunnel you saw before. Take the tunnel and go back, following the same path back to Nova Levante.
Insider Hints for Lago di Carezza
- The best time to go on this hike is at sunrise or sunset. The mountains will be touched with a warm red or orange colour, giving the colourful vista even more paints on its palette.
- A legend tells that the Latemar Wizard was in love with Ondine, a Mermaid that inhabited the lake. The Wizard, taking the advice from a witch, made a rainbow over the lake to draw the Mermaid to him. She came out of the water, but got scared upon seeing the wizard. Angry about what had happened, the Wizard broke the rainbow and threw it in the lake. So, from that day onward the lake has displayed all these beautiful colours.
- For a great drive, continue on the SS241 towards Canazei and then along to Passo Pordoi. This is an incredible drive after a short-day of hiking.
Getting to the Lago di Carezza Trailhead
From Bolzano, take the SS241 and proceed to Nova Levante. Once there, find parking near Hotel Adler Carezza.
Lago di Carezza Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Lago di Carezza Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.