Brink of the Lower Falls
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Lower Brink of Yellowstone Falls trail is a steep climb down to the viewpoint of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The hike is a lot easier than the way back up, however, the massive, cascading waterfalls are simply amazing. Do not forget your camera for this one!
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Brink of the Lower Falls
The trail begins right beside the washrooms. It drops approximately 100 m down to the viewpoint over the Lower Yellowstone Falls, with efficient switchbacks the entire way. This allows for a wide variety of fitness levels!
From the viewpoint you will be right at the crest of the Lower Falls. The raging Yellowstone River tumbles down 94 m, constituting the largest volume waterfall in the United States’ Rocky Mountains.
You will also be able to look down the spectacular Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, a 300 m deep canyon carved over the ages by this powerful river. Hike back up the way you came and slog through the traffic back to Canyon Village.
Insider Hints for Brink of the Lower Falls
- On hot days stop at Canyon Village for a cold drink. They also have a gift shop, visitor center, general store and a cafeteria.
- There are places to rest along the steep trail, don’t worry!
Getting to the Brink of the Lower Falls Trailhead
Head south from Canyon Junction down Grand Loop Rd. There will be a signed, one-way road leading towards the Brink of the Lower Falls. It brings you down through a parking lot and then loops back around to Canyon Village. The parking lot fills up very quickly, so get here early or be prepared to park far away from the trailhead.
Brink of the Lower Falls Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Brink of the Lower Falls Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Clear Lake and Artist’s Point Loop
- South Rim to Ribbon Lake Loop
- Clear Lake and Artist’s Point Loop via the Wapiti Lake Trailhead
- Brink of Lower Falls via the North Rim Trail
- Canyon Rim South Trail to Point Sublime
- Brink of the Upper Yellowstone Falls
- North Rim Trail to Red Rock Point, Lookout Point and Grand View
- Canyon Rim South Trail to Artist Point
- Upper Falls, Lower Falls, and Artist’s Point Trail
- Red Rock Point via Red Point Trail
- North Rim Trail to Yellowstone Falls, Crystal Falls, and Inspiration Point
- South Rim