- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
Being one of the longer hikes in the Sorrentine Peninsula, this trail provides wonderful and unique views, going from the Sorrento Coast to Positano. This walk is a fantastic way to spend a day.
View Monte Comune on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Monte Comune
In the spring, the path on the Monte Comune hike is often difficult to see as there are lots of wildflowers and ferns that cover the path. By summer the heat usually burns some of them away and the path gets clearer yet part of the trail can stay covered by the foliage all year long.
Your hike will start at the end of Via San Pietro. You will face "Castello Colonna". This was a 13th century medieval abbey, which now has become a reception room. Enter the gates and follow the unpaved path on the right (You are allowed to enter because the trail goes through the manor’s grounds).
Continue along the switchbacking trail, ascending the mountain step after step. Here you can admire the bay of Naples with the Vesuvius Volcano dominating it from one side, and to the other the Li Galli archipelago. After 1.0 km you will arrive at a crossroad. Follow the right path along the mountainside, and after few meters you will find yourself in a clearing. Go right. Follow the path that leads into the vegetation. Here you will cross over to the other side of the mountain. You'll start seeing the coast near Positano, with its clear water underneath.
Following the trail, you will come to a path that begins to climb up the mountain. Follow it until you reach the top. Savour the views, then continue. Shortly after this you will come to a fence. Pass through the fence and stay close to it as it goes straight - here high vegetation and plants could hide the trail. At this point you’ll have reached Mount Comune at 877 m.
After you pass through the edge of the fencing, begin your descent (to the left, staying on the same path) and follow the path down. After 280 m,you will arrive to another open fence and will come to another intersection, don’t get fooled by the intersection here: go right and follow along the broken down fence (on your right). At the next intersection after 800 m, turn right and continue your descent. There will be an intersecting path, but veer left to continue down toward Positano
After 0.6 km from the intersecting path, take the path to the right (there should be a CAI signboard), on your left you will see some Positano buildings through the trees. Go down the rock stairs, they’ll lead you to Positano. To go back to Piano di Sorrento, walk down the paved road on the right until you reach a crossroad. Stop there and wait for the Bus to Sorrento.
If you're looking for more amazing hikes in Amalfi Coast, check out the classic - Path of The Gods.
Insider Hints for Monte Comune
- Be aware of snakes! On a recent trip our contributors found an adult viper (Vipera Aspis) on the trail. The best thing you can do is to stop and be still. Vipers are not aggressive, so - if you’re still - after a while they will leave you alone. Don't try to pass by the snake and don't try to attack it, obviously.
- Get a ticket for the bus before starting the trail because SITA bus drivers won’t issue them on-board.
- Extra water is advised as the trail is long and—from May to September - is quite exposed to the sun.
- To get to the trailhead from Sorrento take the SITA bus to Positano and ask to stop at Hotel Royal Hills. Via San Pietro will be on your left.
- To get to the trailhead from Amalfi take the SITA bus to Sorrento and ask to stop at Hotel Royal Hills. Via San Pietro will be on your right.
Getting to the Monte Comune Trailhead
Coming from Sorrento, go to Piano di Sorrento via the SS163 highway, called "Amalfi Drive." Turn left onto Via San Pietro when you see the Hotel Royal Hills on your left. You’ll find parking around this area.
Monte Comune Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Monte Comune Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.