hikes in Bend
While Bend, Oregon is mostly known for the great mountain biking, the hiking around Bend is also spectacular. Bend's best hikes take in wonderful craters, canyons and snow-capped peaks. The cool town of Bend is a great base, and combined with wonderful weather you can see why a hiking trip to Bend should be on your radar for your next trip.
The top 10 hikes near Bend, Oregon are nothing short of amazing. With many of the hikes taking place in Deschutes National Forest, you'll find hikes for all abilities. While hiking around Bend, you can explore mountain summits, river trails, and even remnants of a lava flow, there is a walk for everyone around Bend. Find the hikes best for you with our list of the top hikes around Bend, Oregon.
THE TOP 10 HIKES NEAR BEND, OREGON
- Belknap Crater (10.8km, 539m, 3-4h): This is the classic Bend Hike. Starting from the scenic McKenzie Pass Highway, the trek along the Pacific Crest Trail to Belknap Crater features breathtaking views of the Three Sisters and Mt. Washington.
- West Metolius River (8.7km, 78m, 1.5-2.5h): This is a postcard-perfect river walk: simple as that. The Metolius River is unbelievably beautiful and the easy hike along its flank is worth the relatively long drive from Bend. The water is clear and flecked with stunning whitewater rapids. This truly is a trek worth taking.
- Smith Rock’s Summit Trail Loop (12.6km, 375m, 2.5-4h): Hiking around the stunning Smith Rock State Park is popular for Bend Locals for a reason! This wonderful hike near Bend circumnavigates the entire park and provides awesome views of towering cliffs and the beautiful Crooked River while avoiding crowds.
- Green Lakes (16.1km, 416m, 2-3.5h): Arguably the most popular hike near Bend, the Green Lakes Trail walks you up Fall Creek to the namesake lakes and offers stunning views of both South Sister and Broken Top.
- Black Butte (6.4km, 454m, 1.5-3h): The trek up to Black Butte is a classic hike near Bend. The views from the top are nothing short of spectacular, well worth the walk. On a clear day you can see all the way to Mt. Hood.
- Paulina Peak (10.3km, 635m, 2.5-3h): The gradual hike to the gorgeous Paulina Peak is a top trek near Bend. The views from the top of this hike are stunning, and, as you walk to those views, you’re surrounded by beautiful Rocky Mountain flora.
- Benham Falls (3.4km, 27m, 0.75-1.5h): The famous Benham Falls are a gorgeous sight. This family friendly walk along the Deschutes River near Bend is a gem of a hike.
- Tumalo Falls (6.4km, 165m, 1.5-3h): This hike near bend walks you past the huge Tumalo Falls follows the stunning Tumalo Creek. This raging river is gorgeous, and this trek will leave you with a new appreciation of its power.
- Smith Rock’s Misery Loop (8.9km, 304m, 2.5-3.5h): The most popular hike in Smith Rock State Park, the Misery Ridge Trail takes hikers and sightseers to one of the highest points in the park with incredible views. It’s easy to see why this walk is so popular.
- Whychus Creek Trail (9.8km, 204m, 2-3h): This hike is perfect for escaping the crowds at many of the popular walks closer to Bend. A moderate trail perfect for the whole family.
The best hikes in Bend
Are we missing your favourite hike?
Tell us! If you've got photos, a GPS track and know the hike, we'd love to share your favourite hike with the rest of the 10Adventures community.