Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
What’s in a name? At Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, come prepared for some serious birding with over 270 species to observe in this wildlife nature reserve. Listen to the birds sing as you walk along shady paths, perfect for little ones who want to adventure close to home.
View Inglewood Bird Sanctuary on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
The Inglewood Bird Sanctuary walk is perfect for a short trip with the whole family. Set out from the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary & Nature Centre walking down towards a small lake. At the lake, go to the right, soon spotting the historic Colonel Walker House where you can observe the charming architecture from a distance.
Follow the path as it goes down towards the Bow River, soon curving to your left on a forested path near the Bow River. There are limited views on this part of the path, though owls particularly like this section of the sanctuary so keep an eye out up in the high branches.
Near the end of the path, come close to Bow River and enjoy the glistening view of the water. Proceed further along the trail, where if you’re lucky, you’ll spot a few of the 270 species of birds found in the park. The path goes left back towards the lake and once you reach a bridge, head out to the middle to snap spectacular photos of the lake, especially at sunset.
Come back over the bridge and retrace your steps back to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary & Nature Centre and the parking lot.
Insider Hints for Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
- The area can be teeming with mosquitos at certain times in summer, so bring your bug spray.
- On calm days, the views on the lake make for great photos.
- If you have time, we recommend doing a complete circle around the lake, as the views from each side are different and all beautiful.
Getting to the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary Trailhead
The sanctuary is a 5.0 km drive from eastern downtown on the Bow River.
The Bird Sanctuary is located at the east end of 9th Avenue S.E. From Deerfoot Trail, take the Blackfoot Trail westbound exit to 19 St. SE, then turn left onto 9 Ave. Here, you’ll find a public parking lot.
Inglewood Bird Sanctuary Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Inglewood Bird Sanctuary Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Elliston Park Loop Trail
- Pearce Estate Park
- Prairie Winds Park Loop
- Stanley Park to River Park
- Carburn Pond Loop Trail
- Bow River Pathway to Bowness
- Downtown & Nose Hill Park
- Bow River Pathway in Fish Creek Park
- Bow River from Inglewood to Edworthy
- North Calgary Loop
- Western Headworks Canal to Chestermere
- Bow River & Downtown Calgary