Reither Spitze Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Reither Spitze hike is a high alpine walk that takes you above the treeline, giving you spectacular 360° views of the Austrian landscape. It's one of the best hikes in Innsbruck due to its accessibility and natural beauty.
View Reither Spitze Hike on Map
- Map Data: ©OpenStreetMap
- Tiles: ©CyclOSM
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Reither Spitze Hike
To get to the Reither Spitze Trailhead from the parking lot, take the train or lift up to Rosshütte. From there continue on the gondola to Seefelder Joch (the trailhead).
You will see a clear path and a sign saying “Seefelder Spitze”. Follow it along the ridge up to the peak: Seefelder Spitze. Once you reach the peak (25 minutes) you will be able to see the next peak you are about to summit: Reither Spitze.
Continue on the trail, following the signs saying “Reither Spitze”. You’ll walk along a gravel trail, and eventually you’ll reach a little saddle. From here on out, take the left trail leading up the mountain. In the beginning there is a little ladder and ropes to hold onto. Although the trail is not dangerous, the whole section to the peak is very steep.
Once you reach the summit the vista in all directions is just spectacular. The view of the rugged and wild Karwendel mountain range is incredible. Also, you will be able to see Nördlinger Hütte (a mountain hut), which is your next destination! Take your time on the descent as, again, it is very steep.
At the Nördlinger Hütte there is another trail junction. Go straight and continue on the trail, following the signs for Reith. The views here looking out over the villages in the valley below are really lovely, somake sure to savour themsthem because you will soon cross under the treeline. From here, you willwalk in the forest until you reach the village of Reith. There are several junctions in the forest, but there are always “red-white-red” markings on either the stones or the trees, which show the main trail down to Reith.
Once you are in Reith you can either take the train back to Seefeld or go by taxi. Another option is to use public transportation in the first place – to get to the trailhead. That way you can just bus back to your hotel when you’re finished.
Find other spectacular hikes in Innsbruck:
Insider Hints for Reither Spitze Hike
- There is no water on or near the trail. Make sure you bring enough water!
- The first section of the trail is quite crowded because it is easily accessible by gondola. Avoid the crowds by starting early!
- If you have bad knees - or if you just do not like going down - you could also do this hike as an out & back. Just stop at Reither Spitze and walk back to the Gondola you came up on. This way you avoid the long descent, but you still have the best vistas.
Getting to the Reither Spitze Hike Trailhead
To get to the Reither Spitze Trailhead, drive to the village of Seefeld in Tirol. Park at the station for the gondola that takes you up to Rosshütte.
Reither Spitze Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Reither Spitze Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.