Schaflegerkogel Loop Hike
- Physical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the physical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
- Technical DifficultyThis is the average user-submitted rating on the technical difficulty of this route. In general, green is beginner, blue is intermediate, black is advanced/most difficult and double-black is expert-only. It is recommended that users build up to black and double-black routes.
The Schaflegerkogel Loop is an amazing Innsbruck hike. This walk traverses a beautiful ridge to summit four different peaks before descending into a lovely, wild valley. Along this trail you will find amazing vistas and relatively few people, making this hike one of the best in Innsbruck.
Join our newsletter
Get a weekly dose of discounts and inspiration for adventure lovers
Route Description for Schaflegerkogel Loop Hike
To start the Schaflegerkogel Loop Trail from the parking lot, cross the little bridge to your left, and follow the forest road uphill to Salfains Alm. From there, take the path leading into the meadow and past the huts. Follow the sign that has Salfains written on it. After about twenty minutes you will come to a meadow with wonderful panoramic views and a small lake. You’ll likely see a herd of cows grazing here.
In the middle of the meadow you will find a yellow signpost. At this junction go left and follow the trail to Schaflegerkogel. Here, you will hike along the mountain ridge and be enveloped by beautiful views of the surrounding area.You can see into the Stubai Alps to your right and back to the Nordkette as well. You can see Kemater Alm in the valley to your left. You will climb four successive peaks as the trail goes up and down.
The fourth, and highest, peak is called the Schaflegerkogel. From here you’ll continue on the trail as it descends into the valley. After descending for about ten minutes, you will reach a junction where you go left to Kemater Alm. Soon after this junction, there is a little stream where you can fill up your water. Many locals just fill their water straight from the stream, but we always recommend having some way to filter unknown water sources.
After about 45 minutes, you will cross a little bridge at the valley’s bottom. After the bridge, turn left and continue on the forest road downhill. After 45 minutes you will reach Kemater Alm. You can buy some beverages and enjoy the nice atmosphere.
Continue on the trail and walk through the big meadow right in front of Kemater Alm. Follow the trail downhill until you see the parking lot to your left (about 30 minutes).
Standing at a height of 2,401 m, Schaflegerkogel is one of just under 500 rugged mountain peaks that can be found in the Stubai Alps of eastern Austria. While the summit isn’t the tallest or most prominent in the area, it is easily accessible by trail and provides some spectacular views of the region.
Find other spectacular hikes in Innsbruck:
Insider Hints for Schaflegerkogel Loop Hike
- Start this hike early in the morning. The "Inntal" and Innsbruck will probably still be covered with fog, which will slowly rise. Be prepared for some amazing views!
- You'll have the best views from the third peak, so it is probably a good idea to have an extended break here and enjoy the amazing vistas.
- Bring enough water as there is no water along the ridgeline!
Getting to the Schaflegerkogel Loop Hike Trailhead
To get to the Schaflegerkogel Loop Trailhead from the village of Grinzens, drive south, up the mountain road in the valley Senderstal until you reach the last parking lot. You will have to pay a small fee to use this road.
Schaflegerkogel Loop Hike Elevation Graph
Weather ForecastCheck Area Weather
Schaflegerkogel Loop Hike Reviews
Add a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.